Leonardo da Vinci had long blond hair and piercing blue eyesFebruary 21st, 2009 - 2:27 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 21 (ANI): Going by the details of a portrait that has come to light in southern Italy Leonardo da Vinci had long blond hair and piercing blue eyes.
The slightly damaged oil painting on wood shows the Renaissance master in a three-quarter profile and wearing a hat.
The painting was discovered by a medieval historian in the private collection of an aristocratic family from Acerenza, a hill town near Potenza in Basilicata.
“The link with Acerenza is not so unusual. We know that Leonardo visited this remote region. We know that a powerful Florentine family, the Segnis, lived in Acerenza around the 16th century. Leonardo had a close friendship with this family, and even gave them one of his drawings as a gift,” medieval historian Nicola Barbatelli told Discovery News.
It is being believed that the 60- by 44-centimeter portrait was made by an expert hand, since it doesn”t show any sign of preparatory drawing.
“Moreover, the back of the painting has revealed an inscription written in the typical Leonardo’’s reverse handwriting which reads ”Pinxit mea,” basically hinting to a self-portrait,” Barbatelli said.
Experts are now investigating whether the painting really dates to Leonardo’’s time. (ANI)
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Was Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa a man? - Feb 03, 2011
- Rome airport hosts Leonardo da Vinci exhibit - Oct 11, 2011
- Hunt for Mona Lisa: Archaeologists find new tomb - May 13, 2011
- Historians search for Mona Lisa remains - May 02, 2011
- Gian Giacomo Caprotti Was The Muse For Mona Lisa Portrait, Italian Researchers Say - Feb 03, 2011
- The eyes have it: More mystery unfolds in Mona Lisa painting - Dec 13, 2010
- Mona Lisa landscape location found - Jan 10, 2011
- Italian scientists to dug up Leonardo da Vinci's bones - Jan 24, 2010
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Mona Lisa's 'twin sister' found 500 years later - Feb 02, 2012
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- Numbers and letters in the eyes of Mona Lisa might provide some clues about her identity - Dec 13, 2010
- Medieval record sheds light on London's Italian bankers - Jul 25, 2012
- French Scientists Crack Secrets Of The Purportedly Inscrutable Mona Lisa - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: 16th century, aristocratic family, blue eyes, centimeter, discovery news, drawings, expert hand, florentine family, handwriting, leonardo da vinci, long blond hair, mea, medieval historian, oil painting, pinxit, potenza, private collection, renaissance master, self portrait, southern italy