Lebanese families remember loved ones on TitanicApril 17th, 2012 - 7:53 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, April 17 (IANS) Residents of two Lebanon villages held a remembrance ceremony Monday for the 24 victims from their village aboard the gigantic Titanic that sank in the North Atlantic a century ago.
Kfarmishki and Hardin villages lost 13 and 11 natives respectively in the accident, Xinhua reported.
On April 14, 1912, the Titanic ran into an iceberg on its maiden voyage and in the early hours of April 15, 1912, the ” unsinkable ship” sank in the frigid waters south of Newfoundland. Only 705 of its 2,223 passengers survived the tragedy.
Film director James Cameron commemorated the tragedy in the movie “Titanic,” which was a hit in Lebanon as well as many parts of the world.
Khlail Saikali, a family member of some of the victims, said neither the remains of his relatives were found nor any compensation was paid to the family.
- Titanic wreckage to become Unesco heritage - Apr 06, 2012
- 'Unknown child' onboard the Titanic identified - Apr 29, 2011
- Poor quality rivets sank Titanic - Apr 02, 2012
- 100-year-old Chinese book mentioned Titanic - Apr 10, 2012
- 'Titanic 3D' trailer released - Nov 17, 2011
- Titanic still connects its descendants: British writer - Apr 13, 2012
- Chinese shipyard to build Titanic II - May 02, 2012
- Haynes produce manual for 'Titanic' - nearly 100 yrs after it sank - Mar 27, 2011
- New stamps on 100th anniversary of Titanic disaster - Apr 05, 2012
- Titanic becoming fast food for bacteria - Dec 07, 2010
- 200,000 Titanic records published online - Apr 09, 2012
- Titanic hero's letter to be auctioned - Apr 08, 2012
- 3-D 'Titanic' to release in April 2012 - Jul 06, 2010
- Thanks to bacteria, Titanic 'will be reduced to a rust stain in a few years' - Jan 13, 2011
- Scientists 'to virtually raise Titanic using 3D technology' - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: april 14 1912, april 15 1912, beirut, director james cameron, family member, film director, frigid waters, james cameron, lebanese families, lebanon villages, maiden voyage, natives, newfoundland, relatives, remembrance ceremony, titanic, tragedy, unsinkable ship, xinhua