Lamps made from recycled plastic bottles that have a 700yr life expectancyJune 11th, 2008 - 4:22 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 11 (ANI): A pair of artist-designer sisters has created art quality lighting fixtures from recycled plastic bottles, household plastic containers and recycled scrap metal.
Reta and Vana Howell say that each of the fixtures they have created contains 30 to 55 plastic water bottles, depending on size and shape.
They have revealed that they harden the plastic materials using call the THISs secret fusion process so as to give it the appearance of glass.
According to them, except for the electrical parts of the fixtures, each of them has a life expectancy of 700 years.
Each lamp come with a 13 watt CFL bulb, and has a cord for hard wiring.
Reta and Vana recycle every part of the plastic bottles used in their designs, reports the Environmental News Network.
They have revealed that, presently, there are five versions of the lights for sale, ranging from 325 to 425 dollars.
A 100-dollar discount is being offered to those sending the sisters 72 recycled plastic bottles. (ANI)
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Karnataka mulls mandatory use of CFL bulbs - Feb 28, 2011
- Mercury makes eco-bulbs 'a health hazard for babies and pregnant' - Dec 23, 2010
- Tamil Nadu bans incandescent bulbs to save power - Aug 20, 2010
- Himachal launches green policy on used CFL lamps - Dec 11, 2011
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
- Kerala to distribute CFL bulbs to 75 lakh households - Mar 13, 2010
- Energy efficient CFLs not as bright as claimed - Jan 12, 2010
- UAE launches sustainable lifestyle kit - Jul 12, 2011
- Jharkhand plans to give rural families power-saver CFLs - Jul 25, 2011
- Young and unsung art makes an impression (With Images) - Jul 28, 2010
- Czechs make giant glass whisky bottle - Aug 18, 2012
- Himachal saves Rs.1 bn-worth power through CFLs - Jan 03, 2010
- Energy saving light bulbs 'contains carcinogenic chemicals' - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: appearance, art quality, dollar discount, environmental news, fusion, household, lamps, life expectancy, news network, plastic containers, plastic materials, plastic water bottles, quality lighting fixtures, recycled plastic bottles, reta, scrap metal, shape, vana