Lahore women’s college bans jeansApril 30th, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, April 30 (IANS) Apparently bowing to terror threats, a prominent women’s college here known for its progressive outlook has barred its students from wearing jeans and other figure-hugging outfits but the institution says it is only going by the rules.
“The Kinnaird College administration has banned the students from wearing jeans or other tight dresses in the wake of possible terrorist threats,” Daily Times said Thursday.
The college has also imposed a strict dress code that only allows students to wear outfits like the salwar kameez or loose trousers, with the dupatta (stole) being made mandatory.
College Vice Principal Nikhat Khan told the Daily Times the dress code was in line with a government notification on the issue and had nothing to do with rumours about burqa-clad women issuing warnings to students.
According to Khan, jeans and tight outfits had for long been banned on the campus but the new principal was unaware of this, which the students were taking advantage of.
“Students reported an atmosphere of fear after the introduction of rules that barred students from wearing dresses of their choice,” the newspaper said.
Founded in 1913, Kinnaird College currently has 3,000 students on its rolls.
Its motto, ironically, is: “Light to guide us, courage to support us and love to unite us”.
- Jeans, body hugging dresses banned in Lahore college fearing terror threat - Apr 30, 2009
- Bhopal college bans female teachers from wearing western outfits - Dec 10, 2010
- 'Decent' dress code puts Haryana staff in bind - May 09, 2012
- Posters warn women of acid attack for wearing jeans - Aug 07, 2012
- Lahore women's college students condemn 'war on jeans' - May 01, 2009
- Pak university to implement 'strict dress code' for girl students - Sep 26, 2010
- In cosmopolitan Karachi, women prefer hijab to burqa - Nov 17, 2010
- College dress codes should be non-discriminatory: Experts - Aug 22, 2009
- Orissa has dress code for school teachers too - Aug 19, 2010
- Dress code for Orissa's women teachers deferred by six months - Oct 10, 2010
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Burqa can't be forced on women, rules Bangladesh court - Aug 23, 2010
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Students shouldn't be forced to wear burqas: Dhaka court - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: atmosphere, college administration, courage, dupatta, fear, government notification, jeans, kinnaird college, lahore, loose trousers, motto, progressive outlook, rumours, s college, salwar kameez, strict dress code, terrorist threats, tight dresses, tight outfits, vice principal