Kids with celiac disease should go for vitamins to stave off bone disease: StudyJuly 23rd, 2010 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 23 (ANI): Kids suffering from celiac disease should include certain must-have vitamins in their diets to prevent weak bones and osteoporosis, according to researchers at the University of Alberta.
A study of 43 children and teens from three to 18 years of age diagnosed with celiac disease showed that they also tended to have low bone density, likely due to poor intake and absorption of vitamins and minerals.
In other words, they should be getting more of bone-boosting vitamins such as K and D in their diets, said Diana Mager, a professor of agricultural, food and nutritional science at the U of A, and one of the researchers on the project.
“Children with celiac disease are at risk for poor bone health, but by adding vitamins K and D to their diets, it can help reduce the risk of fractures and osteoporosis,” said Mager.
The study revealed that the children were getting less than 50 per cent of their recommended dietary intake of Vitamin K, and that they also suffered from low levels of Vitamin D, which can be raised through increased exposure to sunlight and by eating fortified dairy products.
Mager also recommended that children with celiac disease include physical activity in their daily routines to build their bone strength and boost their Vitamin D intake by exercising outside.
“Enjoying activities such as walking and running outdoors when there is more sunshine is a great way to contribute to healthy bones,” said Mager. (ANI)
- Modern lifestyle bringing back rickets to Britain - Nov 14, 2010
- Vitamin D pills advised for under-fives to avoid rickets - Jan 27, 2011
- Osteoporosis, the next big health worry for India (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 20, 2011
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- High vitamin-D bread could help solve insufficiency problem - Feb 24, 2011
- 'Sunshine vitamin' can help beat cancer, heart disease - Aug 16, 2010
- Dietary calcium, supplements better than prescription bone-building meds - May 03, 2011
- Salty diets tied to kidney stones, osteoporosis - Jul 25, 2012
- Consensus on optimal vitamin D dose lacking despite many health benefits - Sep 17, 2009
- Every third Pakistani woman has osteoporosis - Nov 15, 2010
- Keep tab on osteoporosis pain-reliever: Experts (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2011
- Try dietary calcium, Vitamin D for bone building - May 03, 2011
- 'Anti-ageing' vitamin could weaken your bones - Mar 06, 2012
- 'Osteoporosis strikes young due to sedentary lifestyle' (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2010
- Anxiety can weaken bones - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: absorption of vitamins, agricultural food, bone disease, bone health, bone strength, celiac disease, dairy products, fractures, healthy bones, low bone density, mager, nutritional science, osteoporosis, physical activity, poor bone, recommended dietary intake, university of alberta, vitamin d, vitamin k, vitamins and minerals