Kids of stressed parents prone to tooth decayApril 4th, 2009 - 1:21 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 4 (ANI): Kids born to parents under stress-induced by low income, having little education, and being a single parent-are more likely to have tooth decay, according to a study.
Researchers from The Ohio State University examined the stress levels of parents whose young children either had no cavities or so many cavities that they had to receive anaesthesia before undergoing dental treatment.
The team looked the parents’ education levels and income, and noted whether they were single parents.
They finally measured the parents’ stress levels again after the children had received dental treatment.
It was found that low income, having little education, and being a single parent led to increases in parental stress.
The researchers also found that the more stressed the parents, the more likely the children were to have decay.
Interestingly, they even found that parents whose children had received treatment for dental decay had lessened stress of being a parent.
Thus, it is required that dental professionals should not only repair childhood decay, but also assist families in finding the help they need to decrease the stress of life.
The investigators presented their findings during the 87th General Session of the International Association for Dental Research. (ANI)
- Mom's emotions affect child's dental health: Study - Aug 23, 2012
- Mothers can help where it hurts kids the most - Sep 07, 2012
- Kids likely to follow parents' example in visiting dentist - Feb 01, 2010
- Asthma 'not linked to tooth decay' - Sep 17, 2010
- Coconut oil combats tooth decay - Sep 03, 2012
- New gel that can help decayed teeth grow - Jul 27, 2010
- Energy drinks severely damage tooth enamel: Study - May 02, 2012
- Study links Preschoolers' cavities and overweight - Jun 23, 2010
- High acid levels in juices damaging kid's teeth - May 20, 2012
- '40 pc Indians in metros suffer from tooth sensitivity' - Jul 03, 2011
- Mothers' oral hygiene affects child's health - May 18, 2010
- Dried licorice extract kills tooth decay bugs - Jan 05, 2012
- Drink tap water to avoid dentist's drill - Apr 14, 2010
- Parents play vital role in maintaining child's oral health - May 18, 2010
- Fluoride in water good for dental health - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: anaesthesia, cavities, dental decay, dental professionals, dental research, dental treatment, education levels, investigators, ohio state university, parental stress, parents education, single parent, single parents, stress levels, stressed parents, study researchers, tooth decay