Kidney disease ups stroke risk in patients with irregular heartbeatMarch 5th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 5 (ANI): Chronic kidney disease can put patients with irregular heartbeat at an increased stroke risk, suggests a new study.
Researchers from Kaiser Permanente have found that chronic kidney disease quadruples the risk of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) the most common type of heart arrhythmia.
“Our study suggests that kidney function may provide an additional clue about how to best assess stroke risk and decide upon the best prevention strategy for patients with AF,” said study’’s lead author Dr Alan S. Go, Director of the Comprehensive Clinical Research Unit at the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.
Kidney disease may increase the risk of stroke in patients with AF by causing inflammation and stiffening of arteries.
Also, decreased kidney function itself may be a marker for the build up of plaque in the arteries, said Go.
In the ATRIA Study, the researchers analysed the data of 13,535 adults with AF.
They found that a lower level of kidney function was associated with a graded, increased risk of ischemic stroke and blood clots that travel through the circulatory system, independent of known risk factors for AF.
The study appears in journal Circulation. (ANI)
- Measuring oxidative stress may help predict atrial fibrillation risk - Apr 05, 2011
- New online tool predicts probability of death in patients after stroke - Feb 11, 2011
- Tool predicts death probability from stroke - Feb 11, 2011
- Moderate-to-heavy alcohol intake may increase risk of abnormal heart rhythm - Feb 15, 2011
- Now, a device to shield cardiac patients from stroke - Mar 28, 2012
- Gene variant linked to a form of irregular heartbeat identified - Feb 22, 2010
- Healthy lifestyles could halve cases of atrial fibrillation - Mar 29, 2011
- Delayed-enhancement MRI may predict, prevent strokes - Feb 09, 2011
- Cardiac procedure cuts risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke - May 14, 2010
- Women with atrial fibrillation more likely then men to face stroke, death risk - Sep 23, 2009
- Arthritis invites higher risk of heart attacks - Mar 09, 2012
- Math model to monitor heartbeat health - Feb 19, 2012
- Irregular heart beat plus stroke may increase dementia risk - Mar 08, 2011
- Diabetes linked to irregular heartbeat - Apr 23, 2010
- Smoking after stroke raises death risk three-fold - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: arteries, atrial fibrillation, blood clots, chronic kidney disease, circulatory system, clinical research unit, dr alan, heart arrhythmia, inflammation, irregular heartbeat, ischemic stroke, journal circulation, kaiser permanente, kidney function, plaque, prevention strategy, risk factors, stroke risk, study researchers, ups