Key component in the spread of lung cancer discoveredMarch 15th, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, March 15 (ANI): Researchers have discovered a new, key component in the spread of lung cancer that may also block spread of lung cancer with drugs.
A team led by scientists at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center found a way to identify metastasis-prone lung cancer cells and then uncovered a mechanism that shifts primary tumor cells into a more deadly type of cell with the capacity to move elsewhere in the body.
The researchers found that when a protein called Jagged2 binds externally to Notch, a membrane protein that sticks out through the surface of a cell, it suppresses a microRNA that thwarts metastasis inside the cell.
“Jagged2 suppresses miR-200 and drives metastasis as a consequence,” said paper senior author Jonathan Kurie, professor in MD Anderson’s Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology.
“It’s been known for some time that Notch is involved in cancer, but no one really knew how,” said Kurie.
The study has been published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.(ANI)
- New discovery may help in the fight against ovarian cancer - Feb 04, 2011
- Micro-RNA decides malignancy of lung cancer - Sep 09, 2010
- Overabundance of protein promotes growth of breast cancer stem cells - Feb 16, 2011
- Lung cancer culprit could offer therapeutic target - Sep 14, 2010
- Don't count on selenium to prevent lung cancer, suggests study - Jun 06, 2010
- Blood protein in lung cancer may help improve diagnosis, treatment - Mar 03, 2011
- Chemo-Vandetanib combo effective for lung cancer treatment: Study - Jun 06, 2010
- 'Good cholesterol' nanoparticles may help fight cancer - Apr 02, 2011
- Scientists make breakthrough in small-cell lung cancer - Jan 14, 2010
- Genetic change helps lung tumors spread to other parts of the body - Apr 07, 2011
- Key enzyme in melanoma cell development found - Jun 18, 2010
- Key culprit in breast cancer metastasis identified - Feb 17, 2011
- RNA-based drugs may prevent premature labour - Nov 16, 2010
- Possible new treatment strategies for pancreatic cancer found - Mar 04, 2011
- Soy 'ups radiation's ability to destroy lung cancer cells' - Apr 02, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,