Kerala to submit report on Mullaperiyar dam to SCJuly 7th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by ANI
Thiruvananthapuram, July 7 (ANI): Kerala Government will soon present before the Supreme Court, a study conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi stating the113-year-old Mullaperiyar dam being hydrologically unsafe and in dangerous condition.
The study would be submitted by the Kerala Government, as the base to support its case in the court for construction of a new dam that is being opposed by Tamil Nadu Government.
Kerala Irrigation and Water Resources Minister N. K. Premachandran, said here today that the State would submit the report to the apex court as evidence to support its case for construction of a new dam at about 1,300 metres below the existing dam.
Premachandran said the key finding of the study was that the water level would go up to 160.22 feet in the event of a ”maximum probable flood” even if the storage level were kept at 136 feet.
The study suggests the Mullaperiyar dam as being hydrologically unsafe for passing the estimated probable maximum probable floodwaters even when all the existing 13 spillways are opened.
However, the Tamil Nadu Government has said the Central Water Commission, which inspected the dam, had told the apex court the dam was strong.
Tamil Nadu is opposed to the construction of a new dam and wants the storage level to be raised from 136 ft to 142 feet.
Kerala is opposed to raise the level from the present 136 feet, sighting the dams safety as the reason. (ANI)
- Kerala acting against constitution on Mullaperiyar: Tamil Nadu - Feb 05, 2011
- Don't allow release of 'Dam 999', demands Karunanidhi - Nov 24, 2011
- The troubled waters around Mullaperiyar: a ready reckoner - Dec 07, 2011
- Tamil Nadu house asserts rights over Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 15, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans screening of 'Dam 999' - Nov 24, 2011
- Vaiko fumes over dam, Kerala calls him ignorant - May 28, 2010
- Tamil Nadu has executed major work at Mullaperiyar: Kerala - Nov 09, 2010
- Opposition will raise funds to build new dam: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
- Give Mullaperiyar report to Kerala, Tamil Nadu: Apex court - May 04, 2012
- Apex court asks Kerala to allow Mullaperiyar dam upkeep (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Kerala minister slams Jayalalithaa's appeal on Mullaperiyar - Dec 10, 2011
- Jayalalithaa takes on disaster authority over Mullaperiyar - Dec 21, 2011
- PM calls for restraint on Mullaperiyar Dam issue - Dec 14, 2011
- Slight tremors in Kerala's Idukki district - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, central water, dams, dangerous condition, flood, floodwaters, iit delhi, indian institute of technology, institute of technology, irrigation, kerala government, mullaperiyar dam, new dam, spillways, storage level, tamil nadu government, water commission, water level, water resources