Kerala leads in tobacco, non-tobacco spendingJune 14th, 2010 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 14 (IANS) Kerala leads the rest of India in the consumption of tobacco and non-tobacco products, said a new study by the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) Monday.
The study, Household Consumer Expenditure in India, 2007-08, said the per capita monthly expenditure on non-tobacco products in villages of Kerala was Rs.17 while in urban areas, it was Rs.19.
The national average was Rs.6 in villages and Rs.7 in cities and towns.
Liquor, classified in non-tobacco products category, alone accounted for 95 percent of the expenses.
Likewise, in tobacco products, Kerala was far ahead of the national average.
In villages, the per capita monthly expenditure was Rs.14.50 while in urban areas it was Rs.18.50. The national average for both urban and rural areas was Rs.9.90.
Another interesting result that surfaced in the study was that the per capita monthly expenditure in the villages was almost as much as in cities and towns of the state.
In villages, the per capita monthly expenditure was Rs.1,383 while it was Rs.1,948 in urban areas. The national average stood at Rs.772 for villages and Rs.1,472 for cities.
- 40 percent of rural India lives on Rs.33 a day - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi's monthly per capita expenditure zooms - Feb 16, 2012
- Delhi residents spend more than other Indians - Apr 05, 2010
- UPA coming with different versions of poverty line: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- Nepal fastest urbanizing country in South Asia: World Bank - May 09, 2012
- Delhi has highest per capita income - Feb 17, 2012
- Reliance launches online life insurance product - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi's per-capita income three times the national average - Apr 27, 2012
- Average Indian spends just Rs.440 on food per month - Oct 31, 2008
- Live on Rs.32 a day or quit, NGOs taunts plan panel - Sep 29, 2011
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on smuggling of tobacco products - Sep 05, 2012
- Argentine capital Buenos Aires becomes smoke-free - Jan 07, 2012
- Consumption in rural India growing faster than urban areas: CRISIL - Aug 29, 2012
- Tax on alcohol, tobacco products hiked in Meghalaya budget - Mar 19, 2012
- 40.74 crore people below poverty line, apex court told - Sep 21, 2011