Karnataka minister donates Rs.450 million gold crown to TirupatiJune 11th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 11 (IANS) Karnataka’s minister for tourism and leading industrialist Gali Janardhan Reddy Thursday presented a diamond-studded gold crown, estimated to be worth Rs.450 million (Rs.45 crore), to the famous Lord Venkateswara temple at Tirupati.
Janardhan Reddy, who owns Brahmani steel plant and Obulapuram mines in Andhra Pradesh, made the rich offering on the occasion of his birthday.
He refused to publicly divulge the value of the crown but it is estimated to be Rs.450 million. The crown weighs 30 kg and it took nine months for the diamond workers to make it.
The businessman, a close ally of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, offered prayers along with his family members at the world’s richest temple located over Tirumala Hills and later presented the crown to Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD), which manages the affairs of the temple.
TTD sources said the crown would adorn “Mool Virat”, the presiding deity of Lord Venkateswara.
Janardhan Reddy told reporters that it was due to the blessing of the lord of the seven hills that he could set up Brahmani Steel plant, which is providing employment to 20,000 people in Kadapa and surrounding districts.
Tight security arrangements were made at Reliance Guest House, where the minister along with his family members stayed and kept the crown before presenting it to the temple.
This is the eighth and the largest crown to be presented to the temple, whose annual earnings from offerings and other sources are over Rs.20 billion (Rs.2,000 crore).
The minister is a regular visitor to the famous shrine and he has already donated several kilograms of gold for TTD’s project for gold plating of the sanctum sanctorum.
This project is estimated to cost Rs.500 million (Rs.50 crore). TTD requires 195 kg of pure gold for this work. On completion of the project, the temple would be covered with more gold than the Golden Temple at Amritsar.
The Tirumala temple is considered richest in the world. It owns huge contributions of precious ornaments and jewels made by previous dynasties and the present day entrepreneurs.
The temple reportedly owns 11 tonnes of gold ornaments. However, the TTD does not reveal the exact figures due to security reasons.
- Reddy brothers make lavish offering to Srikalahasti temple - May 14, 2011
- Reddy brothers make lavish offering to Srikalahasti temple (Lead) - May 14, 2011
- Tirupati temple to decide on Janardhana Reddy's offering - Sep 09, 2011
- Sri Lankan president prays at Tirupati temple for team's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Tirupati temple deposits 1,175 kg gold with SBI - Feb 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh offers prayers at Tirupati temple - Sep 01, 2010
- President offers prayers at Tirupati - Jul 07, 2011
- Panel moots upping security for Tirupati jewels - Jun 18, 2010
- Reddys' rise: Riding cycles to rattling BJP leadership - May 31, 2011
- Rajapaksa prays for team at Tirupati, leaves for Mumbai - Apr 02, 2011
- My assets are over Rs.1,000 crore, Reddy once said (To go with Reddys' rise: Riding cycles to rattling BJP leadership) - May 31, 2011
- Mass marriages in Andhra; 12,000 enter into wedlock - May 20, 2011
- Kerala temple could well be the richest in country - Jul 02, 2011
- Tirumala temple shut for lunar eclipse - Jun 16, 2011
- Act sought against Jagan for flouting temple rules - May 03, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, chief minister, crore, diamond workers, gold crown, gold plating, golden temple, industrialist, janardhan reddy, lord venkateswara, pure gold, rs 2, rs 50, sanctum sanctorum, security arrangements, seven hills, steel plant, tight security, ttd, venkateswara temple