Just looking at a neighbourhood can give pointers to its safetyApril 27th, 2011 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Apr 27 (ANI): A new study has suggested that one has the capacity to judge urban neighbourhood safety just by looking at its physical structures.
Through a combination of interrelated studies, Binghamton University researchers Dan O’Brien and David Sloan Wilson showed participants a selection of photos taken in unfamiliar neighbourhoods and then asked them to rate what they perceived the social quality in each of these environments might be.
In one study, participants were asked to determine if the residents living in the photographed areas were friendly with each other, shared favours, and, most importantly, would be able to organize against crime or other threats.
The responses were then compared to the results of a previous study O’Brien and Wilson had conducted in which participants were asked to rate their own neighbourhoods on a similar scale.
Interestingly enough, the ratings between the two study groups proved very similar. If an outsider thought a neighbourhood looked safe, people actually living were able to verify it.
By demonstrating the agreement between the two groups, O’Brien and Wilson had very clear evidence that the ‘naive’ participants were in fact accurate when comparing to the measures of community and safety drawn from the neighbourhood survey.
The study was recently published in the current issue of Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. (ANI)
- Your gut feeling may be right - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Obese women receive lower starting salaries' - May 02, 2012
- The Tonight Show's ratings drop despite having Jay Leno on board - Sep 07, 2010
- Trivedi's rail fare hike rationale absurd: Trinamool MP - Mar 22, 2012
- Ireland looking to replicate 2007 performance (Team profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 08, 2011
- Sleep problems may cause kids to become aggressive - Jun 01, 2011
- Tech savvy politicos bat for social media - Apr 21, 2011
- Solar-powered device reliable tool to measure blood pressure: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Gay marriage is slavery: Catholic leader - Mar 05, 2012
- How alcohol industry sponsorship ups hazardous drinking in athletes - Feb 03, 2011
- Conan O'Brien's Talk Show "Conan" Beats Other Late Shows Ratings - Nov 10, 2010
- O'Brien wary of strong Indian batting, bowling line-up - Mar 04, 2011
- Conan O'Brien Criticizes Jay Leno Over 'The Tonight Show' Mess - May 03, 2010
- Bad neighbourhoods can have depressing effect on health - Oct 07, 2010
- Sports stars are no role models, says study - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: binghamton university, clear evidence, current issue, david sloan wilson, environments, favours, journal of personality, journal of personality and social psychology, measures, neighbourhoods, o brien, outsider, photos, physical structures, pointers, study groups, study participants, university researchers, urban neighbourhood