Jumping robots may soon find role in military serviceMay 10th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 10 (ANI): Robots that can leap 8 metres vertically to clear walls or fences may soon find themselves in the military.
Sandia National Laboratories’ prototype Urban Hopper can really do wonders just by hopping.
Now robot maker Boston Dynamics has landed the job of producing a military version with a dash of more self-control.
US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which is funding the programme, says it wants the hopper for urban reconnaissance and intelligence gathering - although it admits it could also be fitted with a raft of weapons, reports New Scientist.
Sandia’s shoebox-sized prototype, which is driven by an electric motor, rolls along on wheels. It jumps using a gas piston which is powered by methylacetylene and nitrous oxide.
However, its leaps so far are pretty haphazard.
“The existing hoppers do not maintain a stable orientation during hops, but tumble randomly,” says DARPA spokesman Mark Peterson. (ANI)
- Now, robot that can leap over obstacles more than 7.5m high - Sep 16, 2009
- US firm to develop flying cars for military - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Hopping' bot to explore Moon valleys, hilltops by firing rocket nozzles - Mar 01, 2011
- Robot makes speed record - Mar 06, 2012
- Biochar may help suppress greenhouse gases - Mar 19, 2011
- US military's 'quintillion' calculations per second computer on the anvil - Aug 11, 2010
- US developing 'flying' armoured vehicle - Dec 02, 2010
- '3 Idiots' UAV inducted into counter-insurgency operations - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Near human' bots to 'perform surgeries, harvest crops' - Oct 24, 2010
- Mars 'hopper' could lead to a greater understanding of the Red Planet - Nov 19, 2010
- Global waterways fuelling growth of greenhouse gas nitrous oxide - Dec 21, 2010
- This robot can carry you around the room - Sep 20, 2010
- Penny-sized thrusters developed to propel nanosats - Aug 19, 2012
- Nitric oxide can ward off deadly infections - Jul 24, 2011
- Speed freak splashes $500K on 1970 Rolls Royce to make it world's fastest! - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: advanced research projects agency, boston dynamics, darpa, defense advanced research projects agency, fences, gas piston, hopper, hoppers, hops, intelligence gathering, leaps, mark peterson, military service, military version, new scientist, piston, raft, research projects agency, sandia national laboratories, self control