Judge orders drinks to help witness spur his memoryJuly 18th, 2012 - 12:25 am ICT by IANS
London, July 17 (IANS) A judge during a murder trial in Germany had to order drinks for a homeless alcoholic whose withdrawal symptoms started to affect his memory while testifying in the court.
“I think you need a drink,” said Judge Frank Rosenow with sobriety-challenged Miroslav Waldchek, 50, replying: “I think I do too, your honour.”
The judge summoned for a court official to go and buy two small bottles of weinbrand — a nearly 40 percent proof German brandy very much liked by gentlemen of the road. The assistant returned with his purchases and put into the shaking hands of Waldchek, Daily Mail reported.
The man was then allowed to go into a sideroom, adjacent to the State Court in Hanover, to guzzle it under a doctor’s observation.
The drink actually helped when 40 minutes later, Waldchek returned refreshed to give testimony against a fellow accused of trying to knife him to death in a drunken row two years ago.
“I am mightily grateful, your honour,” said Waldchek after this refreshing break, the first of its kind thought to ever have been granted in German judicial history.
- Britain to make life difficult for violent drinkers - Mar 17, 2012
- Jalen Rose sentenced to 20 days behind bars - Jul 28, 2011
- New bacon soda turning New Yorkers' tummies inside out! - Nov 06, 2010
- LiLo celebrates 100 days of sobriety - Dec 17, 2010
- Ex-cop asks officers to arrest him for driving while drunk - Jun 22, 2010
- Remarks of Dutch Party for Freedom leader Geert Wilders in London - Mar 06, 2010
- Charlie Sheen admits sobriety 'bores' him - Feb 15, 2011
- DUI suspect drinks in front of cop - Mar 07, 2011
- No more alcohol for Ronnie Wood - Nov 16, 2011
- Drunken driving: Chandigarh court sets a precedent - Jun 24, 2011
- Adelaide hero Swann to face drink-drive trial at home - Dec 08, 2010
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Marriage put my sobriety in peril: Baldwin - Nov 02, 2011
- Woman bites off lover's tongue following row in Germany! - May 08, 2010
- Indian man jailed for raping woman to prevent her from ever marrying - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: brandy, daily mail, drinks, fellow, gentlemen, hanover, honour, judge frank, judge orders, judicial history, july 17, murder trial, observation, proof, rosenow, shaking hands, sobriety, testimony, withdrawal symptoms, witness