Jolie visits Syrian refugees in TurkeyJune 18th, 2011 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 18 (IANS) Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie, who is the goodwill ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), paid a visit to Syrian refugees on the country’s border with Turkey.
The actress arrived with boxes of toys and spent two-and-a-half hours with about 1,700 refugees at the site in Altinozu, 20 km from the Syrian border, reports torontosun.com.
A large group of children chanted “look who is here” and “welcome, welcome” as they pushed forward to shake Jolie’s hand, a statement said.
“The people in this camp have fled in fear for their lives, and many told me they were distraught about the safety of loved ones still in Syria,” Jolie said in the UNHCR statement.
“I appreciate the opportunity to visit this camp and talk to these families,” she added.
The actress also heaped praise at Turkey for providing shelter to the refugees.
- Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey - Sep 14, 2012
- Angelina Jolie visits Tunisia-Libya border - Apr 06, 2011
- Brangelina meet refugees in Syria - Oct 03, 2009
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Jolie donates $100,000 to help refugees - Jun 21, 2012
- Jolie to work on Bosnian war love story - Aug 22, 2010
- Jolie urges people to avoid corruption 'excuse', donate to Pak flood relief work - Sep 09, 2010
- Nearly 230,000 Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries: UN - Sep 01, 2012
- Pitt, Jolie meet Iraqi refugees in Syria - Oct 04, 2009
- Syria refugees in neighbouring countries on rise - Aug 18, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Angelina Jolie to shoot film on Bosnian war - Jul 14, 2010
- Number of Syria refugees rises to 200,000: UN - Aug 26, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: actress angelina jolie, angelina jolie, boxes, fear, goodwill ambassador, hollywood, hollywood actress, large group, syria, syrian border, toronto, toys, turkey, two and a half hours, united nations, united nations high commissioner, united nations high commissioner for refugees