Jharkhand fan keeps fast for Indfia’s triumphApril 2nd, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 2 (IANS) While Jharkhand-born Mahendra Singh Dhoni is leading India against Sri Lanka in the cricket World Cup final in Mumbai Saturday, his state’s people have turned to gods and religious rituals in a bid to ensure the coveted trophy does not fall into Sri Lankan hands.
Sonu Chauhan in the coal city of Dhanbad is one of them. He is fasting, lying on his back and keeping nine kalash (traditional pots) on his chest, a rigorous ritual seen only during Navratras (nine days dedicated to Goddess Durga in October).
“I am on fast, and keeping nine kalash on my chest. Normally, this form of prayer is performed during Navratra to seek the blessings of Goddess Durga,” Chauhan said.
“I decided to perform the prayer in the Hanuman temple. We offer special prayers to Hanuman on Tuesday and Saturday. India will certainly win as the final is on Saturday. I will keep my fast till India wins the match,” Sonu said.
The entire state is praying for the Indian team.
In Ranchi, Dhoni’s elder brother Narendra offered special prayers at the Deori temple, dedicated to one of the many forms of Goddess Durga.
Dhoni makes it a point to visit the temple whenever he is in his hometown.
People here are waiting for their local hero to bring home the Cup.
“Dhoni will come to Ranchi with the World Cup. The match is only a formality,” said Rajesh Sen, a student of St. Xavier’s College here, from where Dhoni is pursuing his graduation.
- Local boy Dhoni wins praise as Jharkhand celebrates - Apr 03, 2011
- Special prayers offered in Dhoni's city - Mar 30, 2011
- Dhoni seeks divine blessings before World Cup - Feb 05, 2011
- Dhoni seeks goddess Durga's blessings after ODI-series win - Oct 27, 2011
- Holi, Diwali-like celebrations in Dhoni's hometown - Mar 31, 2011
- Dhoni offers prayers at Deori temple near Ranchi - Aug 30, 2010
- Navratri begins with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 28, 2011
- Puja and polls: Nitish's family prays, Lalu helps Rabri with rituals - Oct 13, 2010
- Durga devotees practice austerity for nine days in Jharkhand - Sep 21, 2009
- Prayers in Himachal temples for India's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Dhoni seeks divine blessings in Ranchi - Aug 30, 2010
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- Eunuchs pray for the success of Indian cricket team - Feb 20, 2011
- PM, Sonia, Ansari attend Dussehra function - Oct 06, 2011
- Durga Puja celebrated with great fervour in West Bengal - Oct 16, 2010
Tags: blessings, coal city, cricket world cup, dhanbad, dhoni, elder brother, formality, goddess durga, kalash, local hero, mumbai, navratra, nine days, prayers, rajesh, religious rituals, s college, sri lankan, st xavier, traditional pots