Jesus Christ’s ‘death certificate’ imprinted on Turin ShroudNovember 21st, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 21 (ANI): A Vatican scholar claims to have deciphered Jesus Christ’s ‘death certificate’ on the Turin Shroud, or Holy Shroud, a linen cloth revered by Christians and held by many to bear the image of the crucified Jesus.
Dr Barbara Frale, a researcher in the Vatican secret archives, said “I think I have managed to read the burial certificate of Jesus the Nazarene, or Jesus of Nazareth.”
The expert at the secret Vatican archive said she has found the words “Jesus Nazarene” on the shroud, proving it was the linen cloth which was wrapped around Christ’s body.
She said computer analysis of photographs of the shroud revealed extremely faint words written in Greek, Aramaic and Latin which attested to its authenticity, reports The Times.
However, her claims were instantly challenged by scholars who said that radiocarbon dating tests in 1988 showed the shroud, kept in the royal chapel of Turin Cathedral, to be a medieval forgery.
But Frale, who is to publish her findings in a new book, La Sindone di Gesu Nazareno (The Shroud of Jesus of Nazareth) said that the inscription provided “historical date consistent with the Gospels account”.
She claimed she had been able to decipher a jumble of phrases written in three languages, including the Greek words (I)esou(s) Nnazarennos, or Jesus the Nazarene, and (T)iber(iou), which she interprets as Tiberius, the Roman emperor at the time of Christ’s crucifixion.
The text also mentions that the man who was wrapped in the shroud had been condemned to death, she believes. The hidden text was in effect the “burial certificate” for Jesus Christ, Frale said. (ANI)
- Vatican Researcher Finds Writings On The Shroud of Turin - Nov 21, 2009
- Christ-era discovery suggests Turin Shroud is a hoax - Dec 16, 2009
- Shroud of Turin may be real - Dec 20, 2011
- Researchers verify the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin - Dec 23, 2011
- Pope visits Turin to see shroud - May 02, 2010
- Turin Shroud to go display in Italy - Mar 28, 2010
- Quite beyond science to explain Turin Shroud: Vatican daily - Dec 30, 2011
- The face in the Shroud - Mar 31, 2010
- Pope Benedict XVI visits the 'Shroud of Turin' - May 02, 2010
- Turin Shroud hidden from 'obsessive' Hitler during WW-II - Apr 07, 2010
- Turin Shroud 'was burial gown of Jesus' - Apr 10, 2009
- Hitler 'wanted to steal' Turin Shroud - Apr 07, 2010
- Millions Expected At Shroud Of Turin Exhibition - Feb 18, 2010
- Shroud of Turin Exhibit Expected to Draw Millions - Feb 18, 2010
- Two million people set to see Shroud of Turin - Feb 18, 2010
Tags: aramaic, burial certificate, computer analysis, death certificate, dr barbara, greek words, holy shroud, jesus christ, jesus of nazareth, jesus the nazarene, jumble, linen cloth, medieval forgery, radiocarbon, roman emperor, secret archives, shroud of jesus, three languages, turin cathedral, turin shroud