It’s official: Men, not women, are the weaker sexMay 27th, 2009 - 1:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 27 (ANI): Scientists have finally put an end to the age-old battle of the sexes, by claiming that men are the weaker sex.
Professor Marek Glezerman, a gender-based medicine expert, examined 66,000 births at Israel’s Rabin Medical Centre between 1995 and 2006, and concluded that baby boys are more at risk of complications in the womb and more likely to have difficult deliveries, reports The Daily Express.
And the gender gap remains when they grow up, as men are more vulnerable to infections and less able to withstand disease than women, research suggests.
In the study, which has been presented to the Israel Society for Gender Based Medicine, Glezerman found that pregnancies with a male foetus were more often complicated and carried greater risk of difficult or premature delivery.
He said: “Men are known to have a shorter life span, are more susceptible to infections and have less chance of withstanding disease than women.
“In short, men are the weaker sex.”
Glezerman said: “Males are also associated with higher risk in the neonatal period after birth and are more likely to expose themselves to risky behaviour later in life.”
Boys may take more chances as the result of peer pressure, and testosterone in their bloodstream could also lead to more dangerous behaviour, he claimed.
“Men become soldiers, construction workers, and work as firefighters. They take on these risks quite naturally to protect their society, and they’re trained to do this without question,” he said. (ANI)
- Birth of boys more problematic than girls: Study - Apr 01, 2009
- Men, not women, are the weaker sex - Apr 01, 2009
- Traditional delivery for breech babies safer than C-section for mums - Oct 27, 2010
- Link between low birth weight and H1N1 flu revealed - May 03, 2011
- Curable diseases caused 1.5 m child deaths in India - Nov 13, 2010
- 1.8m female infant, child deaths in India linked to violence against mums - Jan 06, 2011
- 40,000 Zimbabwean men circumcised in a year - Nov 20, 2011
- Oral sex, HPV puts non-smoking US men at highest risk for oral cancer - Apr 19, 2011
- HPV vaccine also works for boys: Study - Feb 05, 2011
- Parental divorce stokes stroke risk three-fold in males: Study - Sep 14, 2012
- Sex selection to lead to 20pc more men than women by 2030 in India - Mar 15, 2011
- Female sex hormone regulates weight - Oct 20, 2011
- Chinese people protest female foeticide - Jul 13, 2012
- Chinese men to find it tougher to get wives - Jul 11, 2010
- White gay men 'still taking too many HIV risks' - Sep 07, 2010
Tags: baby boys, based medicine, battle of the sexes, daily express, dangerous behaviour, foetus, gender gap, israel society, life boys, life span, medical centre, neonatal period, peer pressure, premature delivery, rabin, risky behaviour, sex london, short men, women are the weaker sex, women research