It’s official: Junk food is addictiveJune 3rd, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 3 (ANI): A new study has confirmed what many people already believed - junk food can be addictive.
In the two-month long study, rats which were allowed to gorge on foods rich in sugar and fat put on weight, and also become “anxious” when this food was replaced.
University of South Australia post-graduate student Zhi Yi Ong found her test subjects would also opt to go hungry rather than eat a healthier pellet-based alternative, reports News.com.au.
“It seems like the desire for junk food has overridden their hunger signals, they would rather eat nothing … than consume the chow as their energy source,” Ong said.
“We’ve seen junk food can be addictive so it is possibly better to consume not too much junk food,” she added.
The furry volunteers were allowed to eat their fill of a variety of biscuits, hazelnut spread, peanut butter, sugar-loaded cereals along with cheese and bacon-flavoured snacks. Then, they were monitored over three days when this food was replaced with pellets.
Over this time, the junk food-fed rats ran around more than a group of control rats who had only ever eaten the pellets.
“When not with the junk food they became more anxious … they were probably suffering from junk food withdrawal,” Ong said.
The research was released at an Adelaide meeting of The Australian Society for Medical Research. (ANI)
- 'Junk food' moms have 'junk food' babies - Mar 24, 2011
- 'Junk food' mums more likely to have 'junk food' babies - Mar 24, 2011
- Eating time too impacts weight gain, shows study - Jul 11, 2012
- Cereal bars not so healthy after all - Aug 18, 2012
- Eating junk food as addictive as drugs - Oct 01, 2010
- Genetic changes responsible for sweet tooth - Apr 05, 2011
- Compulsive eating, drug addiction driven by same mechanism - Mar 29, 2010
- New bacon soda turning New Yorkers' tummies inside out! - Nov 06, 2010
- Yo-yo dieting could activate brain's stress system, lead to overeating - Nov 10, 2009
- Daily stress may cause over-eating leading to obesity - Sep 02, 2010
- Nepal hopes to win rat race - Oct 02, 2010
- Half of Thailand's Buddhist monks are obese: Study - Aug 01, 2012
- 'Drug from lizard saliva reduces food craving' - May 16, 2012
- Junk food 'as addictive as drugs' - Oct 28, 2009
- Do Chemical Compositions Cause Junk Food Addictions? - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: australia post, bacon, biscuits, cereals, chow, control rats, energy source, graduate student, hazelnut spread, hunger signals, june 3, junk food, medical research, pellets, post graduate, put on weight, snacks, spread peanut butter, test subjects, university of south australia