Its official: eggs are good for healthFebruary 5th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 5 (ANI): Heres a reason for egg lovers to savour their favourite food a study has found that its key nutrients reduce the risk of neural tube birth defects and promote eye health.
Theres been an ongoing debate over the health benefits of eggs, but the new study supports the beneficial role eggs play in a healthful diet.
The study suggests that eggs provide high-quality protein for growth, muscle strength and energy and promote weight.
Although the study has also found a link between egg intake and increased incidence of type 2 diabetes, further research is warranted to replicate the finding and to identify potential physiological mechanisms.
In the analysis, participants who reported frequent egg consumption also had higher BMIs, were older, more likely to smoke, reported greater consumption of alcohol, were more likely to have hypertension, and for women reported higher total calorie, saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol intakes.
Therefore, it is important to consider that for the population included in the analysis, egg intake could simply have been associated with less healthful lifestyle behaviours overall.
“Healthy adults can continue to enjoy eggs as part of a healthful diet,” said registered dietitian Marcia Greenblum, Director of Nutrition and Food Safety Education at the Egg Nutrition Center.
“Eggs provide many nutrients and make an important contribution to overall diet quality, she added. (ANI)
- Eggs 'contain higher Vitamin D levels and low cholesterol than thought' - Apr 14, 2011
- Low-carb diet may not be good for heart: Study - Jun 11, 2012
- Cereal with milk is healthiest way to start the day - Feb 19, 2011
- Breakfast key to good health - Feb 20, 2011
- Teens who drink 100pct fruit juice have healthier diets - Mar 04, 2010
- Limiting salt intake checks BP, protects heart - Aug 13, 2011
- 'Eggs healthier, safer than 30 years ago' - Jul 19, 2012
- Beware! Fatty acids could lower quality of semen - Mar 14, 2012
- Eggs shedding cholesterol: US study - Feb 09, 2011
- Saturated fat not as bad as previously thought - Oct 02, 2010
- Lowering fat intake can prevent diabetes - May 23, 2011
- Sweetener keeps obesity at bay among kids - Jun 29, 2011
- Lack of exercise, not dietary sugars, key to increased BMI in kids - May 27, 2010
- Soyfoods protect against breast cancer, lower cholesterol - Dec 03, 2010
- Diet patterns may keep brain from shrinking - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: beneficial role, birth defects, bmis, diet quality, egg consumption, egg lovers, egg nutrition center, eye health, favourite food, food safety education, further research, health benefits of eggs, healthful diet, healthful lifestyle, intakes, muscle strength, neural tube, physiological mechanisms, quality protein, type 2 diabetes