It’s official: bacon sandwich is the best cure for hangoverApril 7th, 2009 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 7 (ANI): Are last night’s festivities making your head pound, stomach queasy and skin a deathly shade of grey? Well, then go ahead and grab a big, fat bacon sandwich to save your life, say scientists.
The yummy grub has always been a popular cure for a hangover, and now scientists have come up with proof to claim that it really works, reports The Mirror.
Elin Roberts, science development manager at the Centre for Life in Newcastle, says: “Food doesn’t soak up the alcohol, but it does increase your metabolism - helping you to deal with the after-effects of over-indulgence. So food will often help you feel better. Bread is high in carbohydrates and bacon is full of protein, which breaks down into amino acids.
“Your body needs these amino acids, so eating them will make you feel good. Bingeing on alcohol depletes neurotransmitters too, but bacon contains a high level of amines which tops these up, giving you a clearer head.”
Elin adds: “If you’ve got amino acids and reducing sugars at a heat above 150 degrees centigrade, it kickstarts the Maillard Reaction in the pan. That means lots of lovely smells are released and it’s this which draws us in. I know of three vegetarians who have been broken by the smell of bacon.”
The expert says if the treat doesn’t work, then get some sleep, water, fatty foods and comfort food. (ANI)
- Bacon sandwiches get winning taste, smell from chemical reaction in the meat - Apr 06, 2009
- Coffee beans roasted till dark brown produces valued antioxidants - Feb 03, 2011
- Foods to Help You Sleep, Fight Depression - Aug 28, 2010
- Too much of sugar fuelling global obesity - Feb 02, 2012
- What you eat can trigger mental illness - Dec 14, 2010
- Unhealthiest of fast foods revealed - Aug 10, 2010
- Cole too busy for love - Apr 26, 2012
- New bacon soda turning New Yorkers' tummies inside out! - Nov 06, 2010
- Baked potato triggers positive memories! - Apr 03, 2012
- List of A-Z love bites! - Feb 09, 2010
- Protein, not sugar, key to keeping us alert and thin - Nov 17, 2011
- Dr Oz Shares How to Recharge Your Body in Five Days - Oct 13, 2011
- Now, a perfect sandwich for every mood - Jul 15, 2010
- Man U stars slammed for carbohydrate-packed post-match feasts - Feb 22, 2010
- Risotto and pizza - how to say no to a hangover this New Year - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: amines, amino acids, bacon sandwich, bingeing, carbohydrates, comfort food, cure for a hangover, cure for hangover, fatty foods, festivities, grub, indulgence, maillard reaction, metabolism, newcastle, queasy, reducing sugars, science development, shade of grey, vegetarians