Italy unearths 2,000-year-old temple of ‘virgin’ Roman goddessNovember 17th, 2010 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Nov 16 (IANS/AKI) About 2,000-year-old temple the Romans dedicated to Diana, the goddess of virgins and wild animals, has been discovered in a national park in Italy.
The ancient religious site, covering 350 sq. metres, was found in the Maremma National Park in Tuscany, it was announced Tuesday.
It was discovered in perfect condition by a team of Italian and European archaeologists following a two-year dig.
Traditionally, Diana is known as the “virgin” goddess charged with protecting women.
According to mythology, Diana, along with goddesses Minerva and Vesta, swore never to marry, but the goddess is also associated with wild animals and nature, and so bears a second title of “Diana, goddess of the hunt”.
The temple has some seven ‘internal’ rooms. It contained 35 oil lamps, 10 coins, a bronze dog-shaped votive, two glass vials and mosaic decorations.
Three statues of Diana and her twin brother, Apollo, were also uncovered.
The temple dates between the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd century AD.
- Temple dedicated to goddess of virgins, wild animals discovered - Nov 17, 2010
- Roman temple from 4th century discovered in Tuscany - Oct 22, 2009
- Crocodile attends papal audience - Jan 12, 2012
- Trucker held in Italy for 'radioactive' cargo - Oct 07, 2010
- Collision causes wipeout at 350-year-old Italian horse race - Aug 17, 2012
- US marine held for raping minor girl in Italy - May 30, 2012
- Fewer immigrants arrive in Italy in 2009 - Jun 07, 2010
- NATO supply truck attacked in Pakistan - Oct 05, 2010
- Late pope's blood vial stolen, recovered - Aug 30, 2012
- Italy bars TV cameras from Berlusconi's 'Ruby' trial - Apr 01, 2011
- 100 works of renaissance artist Caravaggio found - Jul 07, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- Ancient human remains found in Sardinia - Oct 11, 2011
- Israeli Navy kills four Gaza militants - Jun 07, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: animals and nature, archaeologists, diana goddess of the hunt, glass vials, goddess of the hunt, goddesses, maremma, minerva, oil lamps, old temple, roman goddess, snb, sq metres, statues, twin brother, two glass, vesta, virgin goddess, virgins, wild animals