Italian priest offers couples own money to wedJune 12th, 2012 - 11:21 am ICT by IANS
Rome, June 12 (IANS/AKI) A priest in a small village in northern Italy says the weak economy is scaring couples away from the altar. So he has started offering an incentive for wedding ceremonies — 500 euros out of his own pocket.
“I’ve decided to guarantee a little help for all the young couples from the Volania parish who decide to marry,” said priest Giancarlo Pirini in an article by news website Il Resto del Carlino.
Volania, a village of around 300 families, has seen a steep decline in weddings. In 1960, the village registered 17 weddings, but in 2006 nobody married, a trend which may be repeated this year.
“I imagine that many young people these days would like to wed but are dissuaded because of the difficult economy,” he said.
“There might be engaged people still living with their families because they can’t afford the costs that come with marriage, such as a new house.”
Italian joblessness in April hit a 12-year high of more than 10 percent as the country’s faces its fourth recession since 2001. The rate has jumped to more than 35 percent for Italian youth between 15 and 24 years of age.
- Italian jailed for stealing tomatoes - Jun 15, 2012
- Italian kills wife for being 'too beautiful' - Jul 03, 2012
- Ruby's haste to wed boyfriend riles Catholic Church - Apr 28, 2011
- Unemployed Italians become shepherds - May 03, 2012
- Employment growth stagnates in Italy amid weak economy - Aug 03, 2011
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- Court overturns Church's annulment of 20-year marriage - Jan 21, 2011
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Italian priest jailed for sex crimes against minors - May 04, 2012
- Italian thieves return Christmas toys, say sorry - Dec 30, 2011
- Berlusconi buys villa near Clooney's house - Mar 23, 2012
- Berlusconi to release his song album Tuesday - Nov 20, 2011
- Octogenarian allowed to wed 49-year-old man - Oct 14, 2010
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- Italian priest killed by mafia may be declared saint - Jun 30, 2012