Italian family in Sardinia is world’s oldestAugust 21st, 2012 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Aug 21 (IANS) The oldest family in the world is an Italian one living on the island of Sardinia, where nine brothers and sisters have a collective age of 818 years, according to the Guinness World Records.
Italy’s AKI news agency said that after seven years of investigation, Guinness announced that the Melis family from Olgiastra is the longest-living family in the world.
The family comprises nine brothers and sisters with a collective age of 818 years, 205 days.
The oldest is Consolata (105), followed by Claudia (99), Maria (97), Antonio (93), Concetta (91), Adolfo (89), Vitalia (81) and Mafalda (78), all of whom are in good health.
AKI said this should not come as a surprise considering that their native city is scientifically proven to be among one of the places with the longest life span in the world.
In Sardinia, men and women have both elevated and equal chances of reaching 100 years, according to a study published in scientific journal “Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases”.
The study was carried out by two doctors and researchers of the University of Sassari, a city in the northwest part of the island.
They studied all 377 cities and towns in Sardinia, and used historic documents dating from the 1930s and 40s to help trace the lifestyle of the people.
Longevity is 25 percent influenced by genetics and 75 percent dependent on environmental, nutritional and lifestyle habits, they said.
According to the research, the places with the longest life span will be those where inhabitants drink less alcohol, eat less walnuts, dairy and barley products, and more meat.
Family traditions such as baking bread at home, which has less insulin and glycaemia, also help.
The type of work as well as distance from work and the steepness of the place also affect the age as they provide good exercise.
- Ancient human remains found in Sardinia - Oct 11, 2011
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
- 125-year-old woman tops 'longest living Chinese' list - Oct 17, 2010
- World's oldest dog Pusuke dies at the age of 26 years - Dec 08, 2011
- World's oldest person celebrates 116th birthday - Aug 28, 2012
- 125-year-old woman is oldest Chinese - Oct 17, 2010
- US couple becomes world's oldest bride and groom - Mar 03, 2012
- World's oldest dog dies ahead of 27 birthday - Dec 08, 2011
- Protein key to African rodents long, robust life - May 11, 2012
- Woman accused of burning one of world's oldest trees - Mar 01, 2012
- Italians occupy mine 400 metres underground - Aug 28, 2012
- World's oldest man dies aged 114 - Apr 15, 2011
- He may be India's oldest man (With Image) - Oct 20, 2011
- Just like humans, chimps and gorillas age gracefully - Mar 11, 2011
- What Guinness? My job is to run: 100-year-old Fauja Singh (Interview) (With images) - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: baking bread, barley products, brothers and sisters, cardiovascular diseases, cities and towns, concetta, family traditions, good health, guinness world records, island of sardinia, italian family, journal nutrition, life span, lifestyle habits, mafalda, nutrition metabolism, records italy, two doctors, vitalia, walnuts