It takes a thief to catch a thief!July 27th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) Some people are very good at spotting deception… liars themselves.
In a speaking test, liars were able to spot other liars far more accurately than people who told the truth - which might explain why poker players are good at both, the Daily Mail reported Friday.
Oddly, the ability isn’t related to IQ or emotional intelligence - the ability to lie is a separate thing.
Researchers at University College, London, graded 51 volunteers simultaneously on their abilities to tell lies - and spot other liars.
Graphing the results, it’s clear that people who are good at telling lies can also spot them far more easily than “normal” people.
There are clear “tells” that people are lying - such as the fact that they tend to take longer to start talking, which the research confirmed, but liars pick up on these more easily, the Mail said.
“It is not uncommon to hear of “poachers turned gamekeepers”, such as infamous confidence-trickster, Frank Abagnale Jr., who is now an FBI financial fraud consultant,” say the researchers.
What is more mystifying is that the liars and non-liars are of similar intelligence level - meaning thereby that it’s not a simple difference in intellectual ability.
The ability to deceive seems to be separate - although it’s not clear whether people are born with it, or learn it, the newspaper added.
- Britain turning a nation of fibbers - Aug 29, 2012
- High IQ scores as much a measure of motivation as of mental ability - Apr 26, 2011
- Separating wheat of truth from chaff of lies not easy - Feb 17, 2011
- New software can spot liars accurately - Mar 07, 2012
- Face recognition ability inherited separately from IQ - Jan 20, 2010
- Spot liars by listening to their 'well-planned' stories - Sep 30, 2010
- Kerala IT firm bags $12 mn funding - Jun 26, 2012
- Low IQ scores linked to increased suicide attempts in men - Jun 04, 2010
- Consumers tell lies to get rewards (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Junk food diet in early childhood may lower IQ - Feb 08, 2011
- Practice can make you a perfect liar! - Feb 09, 2011
- Government should not be arrogant: Kejriwal - Jun 07, 2011
- Government, team Anna headed for showdown (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Elderly tend to be bad liars - May 30, 2011
- Why faces cannot lie? - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: confidence trickster, daily mail, emotional intelligence, fbi, financial fraud, frank abagnale jr, intellectual ability, intelligence level, iq, liars, poachers, poker players, telling lies, to catch a thief, truth, university college london, volunteers