‘Invisibility carpet’ hides ‘large’ objectsDecember 16th, 2010 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 16 (ANI): For the first time, physicists have built an ‘invisibility carpet’ that hides objects large enough to be seen with the naked eye.
Two independent groups have built transparent ‘carpet cloaks’, made from calcite crystals, that lie over the object to be hidden.
Carpet cloaks render covered objects invisible by bending light rays as they enter the cloak and then when they exit it - after they have bounced off the hidden object.
The light is deviated in such a way that the rays seem to have been reflected directly from the ground underneath the object - as though the object was not there.
To build such a cloak you need a material that will bend the incoming and outgoing light rays by different amounts - determined by the dimensions of the object underneath, explains Baile Zhang, an optical engineer at the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre in Singapore, who designed one of the cloaks.
Calcite is perfect for the job because the speed at which polarized light passes through it depends on the crystal’s orientation.
So by sticking together two pieces of crystal, it is possible to create a cloak that bends incoming and outgoing light by the desired amount.
“The fact that calcite’s optical properties depend on orientation is usually a disadvantage in making devices, but I realized we could actually exploit it to our advantage,” Nature quoted Baile Zhang as saying. (ANI)
- Scientists create 'invisibility cloak' - Feb 02, 2011
- Is the Star-trek style invisibility cloak finally a reality? - Feb 02, 2011
- Miniature invisibility 'carpet cloak' shows promise for the optical world - Apr 20, 2011
- New software for rendering cloaked objects - Nov 13, 2009
- Reversal of optical Doppler shift could lead to 'invisibility cloak' - Mar 07, 2011
- An 'invisibility cloak' that really does hide things! - Nov 24, 2010
- Invisibility cloak 'to be unveiled within months' - Apr 04, 2009
- 'Spacetime cloak' can make time travel possible - Nov 16, 2010
- Oz scientists' theory brings invisibility cloaks closer to reality - Aug 29, 2010
- 'X-ray vision' laser camera shoots 'invisible objects' around corners - Nov 19, 2010
- Harry Potter's invisibility cloak edges closer - May 01, 2009
- Here''s how Harry Potter''s invisibility cloak can become a reality - Nov 21, 2008
- Soon, invisibility cloak made of glass - Jul 22, 2010
- New materials could make invisibility cloak technology a reality - Jan 26, 2011
- Terahertz invisibility cloak created - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: baile, calcite crystals, carpet, cloak, hidden object, independent groups, job, light rays, london, naked eye, optical engineer, optical properties, orientation, singapore, smart centre, time physicists, two pieces