International panel to review India’s rural health missionAugust 4th, 2008 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 4 (IANS) An international panel led by Jeffrey Sachs, special advisor to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, will review India’s flagship National Rural Health Mission (NRHM). A health ministry statement Monday said the panel would review the progress made by the NRHM, and devise future strategy to boost its functioning and improve healthcare situation in rural India.
Besides Sachs, other panel members include Stephen R. Leeder, director of the Australian Health Policy Institute, Kiyoshi Kurokawa, president of science council of Japan and WHO Commission for Social Determinants of Health, and Tore Godal, special advisor to the prime minister of Norway.
Sachs will meet Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss Tuesday. The last meeting between Ramadoss and the International Advisory Panel was held Aug 3, 2006.
The meeting had discussed several health sector issues like quality, training and career progression for the health sector manpower, insurance and risk protection for the poor.
According to the ministry, since its inception three years back, under the NRHM, authorities have trained over 624,000 community health workers at the village level and constituted over 251,000 village health and sanitation committees.
Under the Janani Suraksha Yojana over 6.9 million women, who gave birth to babies at hospitals (49 percent of all births in the country) got financial support.
The ministry also said the country has recorded improvement in immunisation record with 62.4 percent of children being fully immunized from several diseases.
- Rs.1,170 crore to check maternal, infant mortality - Aug 19, 2011
- Azad launches scheme for pregnant mothers in Assam - Jan 30, 2012
- 'India should increase budget allocation for health sector' - Feb 03, 2009
- When a rural health centre works, it works wonders (Feature) - Oct 20, 2011
- Better health services for poor envisaged (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Need to spend more on healthcare for poor: Azad - Jun 30, 2011
- Now, free condoms, contraceptives at your doorstep! - Jun 18, 2011
- Cheaper drugs, better health services for poor (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Odisha's health workers fight maternal deaths (Feature) - Mar 12, 2012
- Professor Jeffrey Sachs lauds NRHM - Aug 11, 2009
- Azad announces audit of maternal deaths - Aug 30, 2010
- NRHM gets higher allocation - Mar 16, 2012
- Government proposing a new National Urban Health Mission: PM - Jun 30, 2012
- Maternal, infant health index improves in India: Unicef - Sep 02, 2010
- Asking women what they want: A step to improve maternal health - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: anbumani ramadoss, australian health, ban ki moon, community health workers, determinants of health, future strategy, health policy institute, international advisory panel, jeffrey sachs, kiyoshi kurokawa, national rural health, national rural health mission, prime minister of norway, risk protection, science council, sector issues, social determinants of health, un secretary general, village health, yojana