India’s first charity book on AIDS releasedAugust 13th, 2008 - 10:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 13 (IANS) A compilation of writings of some of India best known authors like Salman Rushdie, Kiran Desai, Vikram Seth, Shobhaa De and Sunil Ganguly - “AIDS sutra: Untold Stories from India” - was released here Wednesday to highlight the rarely heard stories of those affected with the fatal disease. Avahan, the AIDS Initiative of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, has brought out the books in its fight against AIDS/HIV virus.
” ‘AIDS Sutra’ is India’s first charity book. All of us know the statistics that there are nearly 3 million Indians with HIV. But if we want to stop AIDS, we have to embrace them regardless of social class, line of work or circumstances. This starts with telling their stories rarely heard,” Avahan’s programme officer Jayanti Rajagopalan told IANS.
The writers have uncovered different aspects of the disease and its effects in India.
Rushdie has written on the eunuch community in Mumbai while Desai worked with the sex workers on East Godavari. Shobhaa De has written about her driver.
“From Devdasis to truck drivers, from sex workers to homosexuals, from the affected to the doctors who treat them, we have tried to make this book the voice of ordinary people living with this disease,” Rajagopalan said.
The book was first launched at the Mexico World AIDS Conference in the first week of August.
- HIV project saved 100,000 in India from infection: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- India's winning plan to fight AIDS holds hope for Africa (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Africa eyes India's winning plan to fight AIDS - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian sex workers to video connect with world AIDS meet in US - Jul 05, 2012
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- Untold stories, rare pictures in Dilip Kumar's new biography - Jun 27, 2012
- Delhi to host exhibition of HIV+ children's pictures - Nov 23, 2010
- 'Domestic funding enough to take AIDS programme ahead' - May 09, 2012
- Writers flay Rushdie fiasco - Jan 24, 2012
- Shobhaa De, Dalrymple offers sneak peek into new books - Mar 11, 2011
- 10-day spring literary carnival in Delhi from March 4 - Mar 02, 2011
- Gunfire, spirituality and call of wild on book cart (IANS Books This Week) - Aug 18, 2011
- Activists, patients protest delay in tabling AIDS bill - Nov 22, 2011
- Bill Gates in India to receive Indira Gandhi Peace Prize - Jul 23, 2009
- Positive, he brings smiles to other HIV-affected - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: aids hiv, aids initiative, best known authors, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, east godavari, first charity, ganguly, hiv virus, homosexuals, kiran desai, melinda gates foundation, salman rushdie, sex workers, shobhaa de, sunil, truck drivers, vikram seth, virus aids, world aids conference