India’s armed forces ready to face any challenge: PresidentOctober 21st, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Tezpur (Assam), Oct 21 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Tuesday said India is ready to face any challenge with the country’s armed forces equipped with advanced weapons.”I have no doubt in my mind that we are ready to face any challenge with the country today having the best of weapons and a force that is dedicated and committed to laying down their lives for the nation’s security,” the president said while addressing soldiers at the 4 Corps Headquarters at Tezpur, the garrison town of northern Assam.
“Apart from guarding the borders, the army has also been entrusted with the most challenging task of combating terror. At times you are also deployed for internal security by the state and that too you have executed brilliantly,” the president said.
Patil lauded the sacrifices made by the armed forces for the country’s security and said India is in the safe hands of the army.
“The smiles on your face reflects the country is in safe hands,” she said.
Earlier, the president laid the foundation stone of the Tezpur Medical College, the fifth such institution in the state.
“When it begins functioning, it will be able to cater to patients from Arunachal Pradesh as well as the neighbouring districts of Sonitpur, Darrang, Nagaon, Dhemaji and Lakhimpur. I understand that this will be the first medical facility on the North bank of the mighty Brahmaputra River,” the president said.
The Rs. 1.6 billion state-of-the-art medical college will have 22 departments with ultra-modern facilities spread over a sprawling 36-acre campus.
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Flood alert in Assam, 75,000 displaced - Jul 19, 2011
- Assam floods toll 18 dead, 2,500 train passengers still stranded (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Disaster response teams deployed in flood-hit Assam - Jul 17, 2011
- Assam bandh turns violent, one killed - Aug 28, 2012
- Five killed, 4,000 houses flattened in Assam thunderstorm (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Two NDFB militants killed in Assam - Jun 23, 2010
- Two drown, 150,000 people hit in Assam floods - Apr 24, 2010
- Elephants, bullock carts and boats in Assam polls - Apr 21, 2009
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Over 1.5 lakh people affected as flood situation worsens in Assam - Apr 25, 2010