Indian women shooters fail to qualify for 10m air rifle eventAugust 9th, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 9 (ANI): Indias hope of getting a medal in Shooting fell flat on Saturday as shooters Anjali Bhagwat and Avneet Kaur Sidhu failed to qualify for the Olympics finals of the Womens 10m air-rifle event here.
Anjali ended 29th with a total of 393 in qualifying while Avneet failed to progress to the next round, finishing at 39th with 389 points out of 400.
A bronze medallist from Athens 2004, Czech Katerina Emmons, created Olympic records in both qualifying and final rounds to clinch the gold medal.
In qualifying, she shot a perfect 400/400, and followed it up with a 103.5 which aggregated her score to 503.5. She broke the previous record of 502 set by China’’s Du Li at Athens.
While the silver was bagged by Russian Lioubov Galkina (502.1), the bronze was won by Croatia’’s Snjezana Pejacic (500.9).
However, hope is still alive as Manavjit and Mansher Singh feature in the men’’s trap qualifying. Samaresh Jung too will be seen in action in men’’s 10m air pistol, hoping to get back his form that earned him the moniker of ”Goldfinger” in the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, winning seven medals, including five gold. (ANI)
- Indian shooters misfire (Shooting Round-Up) - Aug 09, 2008
- Anjali, Avneet out in Olympics shooting qualifiers, gold for Czech Emmons (Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- Emmons wins first gold in Beijing Olympics - Aug 09, 2008
- Anjali, Avneet fail to qualify in women's 10 metre air rifle - Aug 09, 2008
- China claim first gold of Beijing Games (Olympic Lead) - Aug 09, 2008
- China lifts first golds - US sweep fencing, more Spain glory (Olympic round-up) - Aug 09, 2008
- Olympic dreams over for Rathore and Anjali (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Asian shooting: India win silver and two bronze in team events - Jan 14, 2012
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- CWG shooting: Manavjit, Mansher trap silver - Oct 08, 2010
- CWG shooting: Indians continue to dominate at Karni Singh Range (Night Intro) - Oct 08, 2010
- Indian shooters eyeing Beijing glory - Jul 25, 2008
- Names of Indian medal winners at CWG - Oct 15, 2010
- China, Russia to fight for shooting honours at Beijing - Jul 17, 2008
- After hockey, shooting is India's most successful Olympic sport - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 10m air pistol, air rifle, athens 2004, bhagwat, bronze medallist, emmons, final rounds, goldfinger, indian women, katerina, kaur, lioubov galkina, melbourne commonwealth games, olympic records, qualify for the olympics, s trap, samaresh jung, sidhu, snjezana, women shooters