Indian scientists told to create a curry fit for orbit!March 27th, 2009 - 1:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 27 (ANI): A team of Indian military boffins has been tasked with a particularly tricky mission: to develop a curry to be consumed by astronauts in space.
Last month India had approved a 1.1-billion pound manned mission, and plans to send a man into space by 2015 and hopes to send some familiar food with him.
However, making food that tastes good in space can be a tedious task, according to A. S. Bawa, the director of the Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), who is tackling the project.
Bawa said his team faced several hurdles.
“Curry tends to be spicy, high in fat content and uses many ingredients; all these factors present significant challenges,” The Telegraph quoted him, as telling The Times.
“We cannot afford the stomach of an astronaut to be strained,” he added.
Spicy meals and hot sauces are being avoided, says Bawa, because they could be hard to digest in zero gravity.
“When an astronaut is happy on all fronts, we would like to think his performance is enhanced . . . but so far, we are limited to very mild dishes,” he said.
The astronauts were expected to miss traditional snacks - such as the pancake-like dosa - the most, he said.
“Developing a dosa for space? It’s never been done before . . . fried bhajis? Very challenging - we can use only minimal oil. But if the mission demands it, we are ready to look into it,” he said. (ANI)
- Mumbai, a city that never stops eating! - May 21, 2012
- Scientist dreams of being first Puerto Rican woman in space - Jul 14, 2012
- Agra students claim world record for 'bedai' - Mar 23, 2012
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Aloo chaat, wada pao knock beef cutlets off menu (Eating Out With IANS) - Aug 23, 2011
- NASA to draft 20-year Mars strategy by August - Apr 14, 2012
- What do astronauts eat in space? - Jul 03, 2010
- China mulls sending female astronauts into space - Oct 31, 2011
- Dos and Don'ts during monsoon (To go with - With Monsoon health guide: Rainproof your lifestyle with right diet) - Jul 16, 2012
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- 'US spends more on pizza than on space missions' - May 03, 2012
- Indian restaurants-on-wheels becoming hip in USA - Dec 26, 2010
- Monsoon health guide: Rainproof your lifestyle with right diet - Jul 16, 2012
- China prepares for manned space docking this year - Mar 01, 2012
- China to prepare astronauts for long stay in space - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, astronaut, astronauts, bawa, boffins, curry, dishes, fat content, food research laboratory, hot sauces, hurdles, indian scientists, manned mission, orbit, pancake, spicy meals, stomach, tedious task, traditional snacks, zero gravity