Indian-origin scientist’s creation is ‘perfect product for cleaning up oil spill’June 19th, 2010 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 19 (ANI): A non-woven cotton carbon absorbent wipe created by an Indian-origin American scientist has successfully picked up oily paste in preliminary tests.
Seshadri Ramkumar, associate professor of non-woven technologies, at Texas Tech University, came with Fibertect, which he claimed could help clean up the Gulf oil spill.
In a preliminary test of Fibertect on the soiled beaches of Grand Isle, La., it not only successfully cleaned up the rust-coloured crude oil, but also adsorbed toxic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon vapours reportedly sickening oil spill clean-up crew members.
Ramkumar said: “It definitely has proven itself a perfect product for cleaning up the oil spill.
“This preliminary test in Louisiana has shown that our wipe material is unique from others in that it easily absorbs liquids, and it has vapour-holding capacity. This will help workers clean beaches and stay safe at the same time.”
According to Ramkumar, raw cotton-carbon Fibertect can absorb oil up to 15 times its weight. (ANI)
- Indian-origin scientist claims his product can clean up Gulf oil spill - Jun 12, 2010
- Super-wipe that cleans up deadly chemicals - Dec 14, 2008
- New bacteria strain may help clean Gulf oil spill - Jun 12, 2010
- New nanosponge can clean seas of oil spills - Apr 17, 2012
- Scientists discover bacteria that can clean oil spill - Jun 12, 2010
- BP oil spill: Experts fear consequence will 'last for decades' - Aug 09, 2010
- Kevin Costner's Dream Machine To Clean BP Oil Spill - Jun 20, 2010
- Now, 'vacuum cleaner' that sucks up oil slicks - Nov 16, 2010
- Majority Of Tar Balls Found In Texas Unrelated To BP Oil Spill - Jul 11, 2010
- Fresh wave of oily tar balls layer Goa beaches - Apr 19, 2011
- New clean-up tools being used to protect wetlands from Gulf of Mexico oil spill - May 21, 2010
- Tar balls from Goa beaches to be incinerated - Sep 06, 2010
- Divers to attempt plug oil leak from sunken ship - Aug 10, 2011
- Gulf oil displaced, killed whale sharks? - Sep 26, 2010
- Florida Keys tar balls not linked to BP oil leak - May 19, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,