Indian Navy to buy 37 anti-submarine helicoptersJuly 24th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
New Delhi, July 24 (ANI): The Indian Navy is all set to strengthen its air fleet by acquiring 26 Sea King anti-submarine and troop carrying helicopters and 11 Kamov-28 choppers.
The Defence Ministry will soon issue the request for proposal (RFP) to procure these 37 anti-submarine helicopters. The contract for choppers is worth Rs.14, 500 million
The ministry has finalised global tenders to acquire troop carrying and anti-submarine helicopters as well as to upgrade its fleet of Sea King and Kamov-28 helicopters, a senior naval officer said.
He also said that the delivery of 12 single-seat MiG-29K and 4 two-seat MiG-29KUB would start by the year-end. They will be later deployed on the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier being refitted in Russia.
The first batch of four aircraft for the Navy is likely to fly into the naval air station at Goa.
The officer also said that the Navy is also looking for its own Airborne Early Warning Aircraft.
The navy operates 14 Sea King and 12 Kamov anti-submarine helicopters. In addition, the Sea Kings are also used for reconnaissance, search and rescue operations, and for ferrying personnel and supplies.
Meanwhile, in a major drive to modernise the armed forces and expand aviation wings of the Services, the Defence Ministry today issued a RFP to procure 197 helicopters. The proposed procurement is worth Rs.30, 000 million.
The armed forces will modernise their helicopter fleet by 2010 by replacing the age-old Cheetah and Chetak, which have been in service for last 40 years. (ANI)
- Indian Navy looking for latest choppers - Oct 01, 2011
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- Will ground MiG-29 if needed: Indian Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- President Patil reviews naval fleet - Dec 20, 2011
- Russia tests fighter jets before delivery to India - Sep 30, 2009
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- Russia continues to dominate Indian military aviation - Aug 19, 2010
- 35 Russian companies at Aero India 2011 - Feb 08, 2011
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- Putin visit: India may sign for 29 MiG-29K fighters - Feb 13, 2010
Tags: admiral gorshkov aircraft carrier, air fleet, aviation wings, cheetah, chetak, defence ministry, early warning, global tenders, helicopter fleet, helicopters, indian navy, kamov, mig 29k, naval air station, proposal rfp, request for proposal, rescue operations, sea king, sea kings, search and rescue