India to launch injectible polio vaccineNovember 12th, 2008 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 12 (IANS) India will soon introduce an injectible polio vaccine (IPV) in the nine troubled districts of Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, considered to be the hotbed of polio in the country, to check the spread of the epidemic.“The IPV vaccine would be introduced in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar districts to control the spread of the disease,” Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss told reporters here Wednesday.
Though Uttar Pradesh was earlier described as the “world’s most tenacious reservoir of P1 poliovirus” by the World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Margaret Chan, the state remained free of the most dangerous and fast travelling virus for a record one and a half years.
The minister said the P1 strain, considered to be the most dangerous strain that spreads fast, was not reported in the country’s most populous state for over 15 months.
India will introduce the IPV in the two states alongside the ongoing countrywide oral immunisation drive to eradicate the disease and Microsoft founder Bill Gates will help the country in this new strategy.
The decision to introduce the vaccine, which was not launched because of paucity of funds, was taken following the fresh injection of funds from Gates.
India is one of the few countries grappling to control the disease that affects children below the age of five. This year till Oct 31, the country has reported 499 cases of polio, a whopping 35 percent of the cases reported worldwide.
Last year, the country reported 874 cases, over 90 percent of them from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
“We want to check polio transmission in the country,” said Ramadoss.
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Bihar set to win battle against polio - Jul 29, 2010
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Bihar waits for vaccine that fights two polio strains - Dec 09, 2009
- In Uttar Pradesh bylanes, children help fight polio - Feb 03, 2011
- Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccine - May 10, 2012
- India to use dual effect vaccine to combat polio - Nov 14, 2009
- Bill Gates to help India introduce polio injections - Nov 05, 2008
- Families refuse polio drops in Bihar - Sep 21, 2011
- Muslim clerics join hands for polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 28, 2011
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011