India asks Pakistan to grant clemency to SarabjitMarch 18th, 2008 - 4:49 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 18 (ANI): The Indian Government today asked Pakistan to grant clemency to Sarabjit Singh, the Indian detenu, on humanitarian grounds.
While making a suo motu statement on media reports that Sarabjit is to be hanged on April 1, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told the Lok Sabha that the Government has no formal intimation from the Pakistan Government about it and New Delhi has sought details from Islamabad in this regard.
“Our High Commission in Islamabad has sought details from the Government of Pakistan”, Mukherjee said.
Noting that India and Pakistan had put in place certain institutional arrangements to improve the situation of prisoners of the respective countries, Mukherjee said “it is in this context and in the same spirit that we appeal to the Government of Pakistan to treat Sarabjit Singh’s case with clemency on humanitarian grounds.”
The Supreme Court of Pakistan had rejected Sarabjits appeal for mercy in March 2006 and Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf rejected his petition in March this year.
Sarabjit, convicted for the killing of 14 people in Pakistan in1991, has been in a Pakistan jail since then. (ANI)
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan court seeks reply on likely pardon for Sarabjit - Jun 15, 2011
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Apex court calls for files of 18 mercy pleas (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee appeals Pak Govt to take Sarabjit's case on humanitarian grounds - Mar 18, 2008
- No postponement of Sarabjit's hanging: Musharrafs spokesman - Apr 19, 2008
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Salman starts 'free Sarabjit Singh' campaign online - Jul 01, 2012
- Musharraf may grant clemency to Sarabjit on humanitarian grounds - Mar 19, 2008
- Pakistan Prime Minister brings fresh hope to Sarabjit - Jun 21, 2008
- Sarabjit's ex lawyer asks Zardari to pardon him - Jun 27, 2009
- Pak allows Sarabjits family to meet him in Lahore jail - Apr 24, 2008
Tags: april 1, clemency, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, government of pakistan, humanitarian grounds, india and pakistan, indian government, institutional arrangements, intimation, islamabad, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, pakistan government, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president pervez musharraf, prisoners, supreme court of pakistan