‘Idol’ enzyme controls bad cholesterolJune 12th, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 12 (ANI): Conducting experiments on mice, researchers at the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA) have identified an enzyme that controls the so-called “bad cholesterol”, which is often linked with heart disease and clogged arteries.
The researchers say that the enzyme called Idol destroys a specific receptor produced by liver cells that sticks to Low-density lipoprotein (LDL), as bad cholesterol is scientifically known.
This, according to them, permits more bad cholesterol to circulate in the blood.
In blocking Idol’s activity, the researchers triggered cells to make more receptor and absorb more cholesterol from the body.
“We only know of three pathways that regulate the LDL receptor. The first two are already targeted by existing drugs. Idol is the first mechanism discovered in several years that may lead to a new medication designed to control cholesterol levels,” said Dr. Peter Tontonoz, professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Telling about the significance of the findings, the researchers suggest that development of a drug that interferes with Idol’s activity may influence cholesterol metabolism, and lower levels of bad cholesterol.
They say that doctors could prescribe the new medication in conjunction with statin drugs, which also cut cholesterol levels by targeting a different enzyme linked to the LDL receptor, and thereby benefit patients that cannot tolerate statin-related side effects. (ANI)
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- 'Good' cholesterol drug may help diabetics - Jul 19, 2011
- Discovery shows statins could fight cancer - Sep 14, 2012
- Experts wary of Lancet's study on good cholesterol - Jun 14, 2012
- Scientists uncover how high cholesterol levels cause bone loss - Aug 25, 2009
- A jab could lower cholesterol by two-thirds - Nov 15, 2011
- Increasing blood levels of 'good' cholesterol 'cuts heart disease risk' - Nov 18, 2010
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Immune system's role in bone loss uncovered - Aug 26, 2009
- Promising new way to lower cholesterol production - Mar 03, 2011
- Even bosses snub the doctor's orders - Mar 03, 2010
- Anti cholesterol drug causes depression: Indian scientists - Jun 23, 2010
- New study raises questions over broader use of statins - Jun 29, 2010
- Dark chocolate may reduce cardio risks, study shows - Apr 25, 2012
- 'Bad cholesterol' also vital for health - May 06, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,