Identical triplets born to Orissa womanFebruary 24th, 2009 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kendrapada (Orissa), Feb 24 (IANS) A woman in Orissa’s Kendrapada town Tuesday delivered identical triplets - all girls - by caesarean section, hospital officials said.
The three daughters were born to K. Laxmi, 28, at the district government hospital at Kendrapada, some 93 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, A.G. Mohanty, the doctor at the hospital, told IANS.
Laxmi is a resident of Sandhapur village in Kendrapada district. “It was her first delivery,” the doctor said, adding that the babies were delivered without any complications.
The infants weighed one kg to 1.5 kg at birth. Normal weight of a newborn infant should be about two kg. However, the doctor said the condition of all the three babies is good though they are underweight.
The condition of the mother is also stable, he added.
“We are happy with the births. We will name them Durga, Parvati and Saraswati - the names of three Hindu goddesses,” said T.K. Kurmi, the father.
“Due to ovary multiplication, the woman delivered triplets,” said Mohanty.
The triplets’ mother always carries the risk of losing all the three babies at the same time due to various factors, including chord complications and pre-term labour.
The babies themselves run the risk of being affected by diabetes, anaemia, blood pressure, respiratory distress syndrome, infection and jaundice.
Twins and triplets have become common over the past few decades because of fertility treatments, but doctors say identical triplets are still rare.
- Premature babies survive better in neonatal ICUs - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- 18-year-old gives birth to triplets - Nov 20, 2011
- Premature, underweight triplets doing well - Nov 23, 2011
- Bacteria linked to preterm births, developmental problems in newborns - Jan 28, 2011
- Babies born by caesarean more likely to be obese - May 24, 2012
- Tripura woman gives birth to triplets - Jan 10, 2012
- Raigad woman delivers baby boy, despite huge tumours - Jul 12, 2012
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Iraqi woman gives birth to quadruplets - Apr 02, 2011
- Babies born a week earlier at higher autism risk - Jun 10, 2010
- Oz mum gives birth to 5.75kg baby boy - Mar 09, 2011
- Pregnancy stress can affect baby's iron status: Study - Apr 30, 2012
- Septuplets die soon after birth in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Caesarean babies at greater risk of becoming fat - May 15, 2011
Tags: births, blood pressure, caesarean section, decades, district government, fertility treatments, government hospital, hindu goddesses, hospital officials, identical triplets, jaundice, laxmi, multiplication, newborn infant, orissa, ovary, pre term labour, respiratory distress syndrome, three babies, three daughters