I regret the day Surjeet Singh got released: Dalbir KaurJuly 2nd, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 2 (IANS) Dalbir Kaur, sister of Indian prisoner in Pakistan Sarabjit Singh, Monday said she regretted the day Surjeet Singh got released from a Pakistani prison.
“Surjeet Singh has created a problem not only for Sarabjit, but all Indian prisoners who are stuck in Pakistani jails. I am still regretting his release,” Kaur said at a press conference held here Monday.
Pakistan released Surjeet Singh last Thursday. Though reports had earlier said that Sarabjit Singh would be released, Pakistan later clarified that it was Surjeet who was to be released, and not Sarabjit Singh.
“The talk of his release never got ahead. I spoke to his family and told Sarabjit’s lawyer that we should also appeal in the high court for his release. Sarabjit’s lawyer kept fighting for his release. Yet, he is so ungrateful. He didn’t even thank him once,” she said.
Dalbir Kaur is also angered by Surjeet Singh’s statement about Pakistani prisons.
“I want to ask all those prisoners who are in Pakistani prisons as to how it feels. If there is no problem, then why has my brother gone mad? If it was so nice, then why did Surjeet Singh want to get out?” she said.
Dalbir said that advocates and police constables in Pakistan were supporting Sarabjit’s release. “I have stayed in Pakistan and spoken to the leadership, advocates and judges. I have spoken to jail superintendents, prisoners and constables. They said that Sarabjit is a very nice person and he must be released soon,” she said.
She urged both the nations to come together on humanitarian grounds and address such issues. “If other nations can come together and release prisoners, then why not India and Pakistan?” she asked.
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Will meet PM, Sonia, Rahul, says Sarabjit's sister - Jul 02, 2012
- Soni appeals for Sarabjit's release - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012