Hundreds of prisoners in Bihar jail pledge to donate eyesMarch 2nd, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 2 (IANS) Hundreds of prisoners in a Bihar jail, including Maoists, gangsters and even a jailed politician, have pledged to donate their eyes after death, an official said Monday.
“More than 400 of nearly 3,000 prisoners in the Beur Central Jail in Patna have voluntarily pledged to donate their eyes,” said Kanti Mohan, the medical officer of the jail.
Official sources said Maoists like Ajay Kanu, the brain behind the infamous Jehanabad jail break in November 2005, along with dozen other cadres, gangsters Bindu Singh, Shiv Gope, Sultan Miyan and former legislator Rajan Tiwari have given their written consent to donate eyes.
“Prisoners are also human-beings, with heart and emotions. They were motivated to make a difference to others by donating their eyes,” Mohan told IANS over phone.
It took Mohan many days to convince and encourage prisoners to make the pledge.
“It was not an easy task. I worked hard for it and now the prisoners have responded,” he said.
Jail Superintendent Omprakash Gupta said the prisoners would set a positive example and it would change their bad image in the society.
“It will inspire inmates of other jails in the state to donate their eyes or other organs,” Gupta said.
- Fifteen mobile phones recovered from Bihar jail - Sep 02, 2010
- Jailor shot at, escapes unhurt - Jul 27, 2012
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Bihar jail to auction 500 mobile phones - Jun 11, 2012
- Twelve mobile phones seized from Bihar jail - Apr 07, 2010
- Bihar jails' security tightened after Maoist threat - Oct 30, 2010
- Indian court sentencing Nepal's Maoists causes ripples - Sep 12, 2011
- Two top Maoist leaders offer to donate their bodies - Sep 16, 2011
- Bihar to computerise jails - Jun 28, 2012
- High alert in Bihar's Jehanabad to foil repeat of 2005 jailbreak - Nov 13, 2009
- Bihar court seeks arrest of 11 Nepali Maoist leaders - Sep 15, 2011
- Prisoners extend support to Binayak Sen in Bihar - Jan 01, 2011
- Slogans, songs in Bihar jails to remember Charu Mazumdar - Jul 30, 2010
- Bihar jail officials make special arrangements for Chhath prayers - Oct 23, 2009
- Four prisoners attempt suicide - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: central jail, gangsters, gope, gupta, human beings, inmates, jail break, jails, jehanabad, kanti, legislator, maoists, medical officer, miyan, mohan, omprakash, politician, prisoners, shiv, sultan