Hubble Servicing Mission 4 comes to an end with successful landingMay 25th, 2009 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 25 (ANI): The historic and successful Hubble Servicing Mission 4 - the fifth and final visit of the Space Shuttle to the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope - came to an end with a perfect landing at Edwards Air Force Base in California on Sunday.
During a series of unprecedented spacewalks, Space shuttle Atlantis’ astronauts replaced and repaired a total of four instruments.
The Wide Field Camera 3 and Cosmic Origins Spectrograph were installed and the Advanced Camera for Surveys and Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph were successfully repaired.
Servicing Mission 4 was an intense, 13-day undertaking that revitalized Hubble, making the telescope more capable than ever.
All mission objectives were accomplished during five spacewalks that totalled 36 hours, 56 minutes.
“This is not the end of the story but the beginning of another chapter of discovery by Hubble,” said Ed Weiler, associate administrator for Science at NASA Headquarters.
“Hubble will be more powerful than ever, continue to surprise, enlighten, and inspire us all and pave the way for the next generation of observatories,” Weiler added. (ANI)
- Hubble celebrates 20 years of launch - Apr 24, 2010
- Rejuvenated Hubble captures images of eerie "pillar of creation" and "butterfly" nebula - Sep 10, 2009
- US astronauts conclude spacewalk after battle with tricky bolt - May 18, 2009
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Astronauts install device on Hubble to study cosmic origins - May 17, 2009
- NASA unveils first images from revamped Hubble - Sep 10, 2009
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Revamped Hubble ready to tackle universe's big questions - May 21, 2009
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Atlantis starts home journey - May 23, 2010
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA's Shuttle Atlantis Launches on a Final Mission to Hubble - May 12, 2009
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Astronauts finish Hubble repairs - May 19, 2009
Tags: advanced camera, air force base, associate administrator, atlantis astronauts, cosmic origins, discovery, ed weiler, edwards air force, edwards air force base, four instruments, hubble space telescope, mission objectives, nasa, nasa headquarters, next generation, space shuttle atlantis, space telescope imaging, spacewalks, undertaking, wide field camera