How online gamblers perceive themselvesNovember 23rd, 2010 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 23 (ANI): An online gambler doesn’t realize that he is betting on the Internet - instead he thinks he is an internaut who gambles - says a new study.
Another conclusion of the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) research study is that the amount of money played is underestimated: on average, a gambler who thinks he has bet 22 euros a month, in reality has bet 40 euros.
“They think that they are browsing the net, going into pages of this type and gambling, believing that they are still browsing,” said Jose Ignacio Cases.
“On the other hand, in the case of conventional gambling, if you are going to make a bet on football scores, playing instant lottery, buying a lottery ticket, or taking part in a bingo game, you are more aware that you are gambling”, he added.
The data gathered is based on a survey with a sample of 1,000 interviews. They demonstrate that gambling is a very widespread practice in Spain given that 92.4 percent of Spaniards aged 18 to75 have done so on at least one occasion, and almost half (49.4 percent) state that they habitually gamble.
And gamblers are more often men than women, especially those between the ages of 22 and 55, with medium high social status.
The goal of this research is “initiating reflection from the academic point of view on a little known reality in Spain: that of the gaming industry, which involves a large number of workers, many millions of euros, with winnings going to a large number of citizens, practically all of them adults,” Cases said. (ANI)
- A million Italians are gambling addicts,says study - Apr 11, 2012
- Even Ramazan does not prevent Islamabad's police officers from gambling - Sep 08, 2010
- 3 out of 4 Brits are gambling addicts - Feb 16, 2011
- Number of gambling addicts in UK rising due to lax Gambling Act - Feb 16, 2011
- London Olympics: Betting houses offer odds on diverse things - Jul 27, 2012
- Online sports betting, poker could see emergence of new generation G - May 31, 2010
- Ed Rendell Pennsylvania governor defends slot machines & calls '60 Minutes' hosts as "idiots" - Jan 10, 2011
- Singapore hospital to give online treatment to gamblers - Apr 04, 2012
- Losing a night's sleep 'can turn you into a reckless gambler' - Mar 08, 2011
- Gambling addiction treatment 'is not one-size-fits-all' - Mar 16, 2011
- Where gambling is the stuff of dreams! - Feb 15, 2011
- Denmark's Bendtner fined and banned for ambush marketing - Jun 19, 2012
- Facebook gambling app evokes public outcry - Aug 07, 2012
- Videogame addicts may become problem gamblers - Aug 21, 2009
- Denmark's Bendtner hit with UEFA charge - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: adults, amount of money, bet on football, bingo, bingo game, citizens, football scores, gambler, gamblers, gambles, gaming industry, instant lottery, internaut, jose ignacio, lottery ticket, point of view, reflection, uc3m, universidad carlos iii, universidad carlos iii de madrid