How cranberry juice battles urinary tract infectionsJuly 16th, 2010 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 16 (ANI): If you love cranberry juice, you are in luck - scientists have discovered that it can fight off urinary tract infections in people.
The research illuminates the basic mechanics of E. coli infections, possibly leading to new antibiotic drugs and infection-resistant materials for invasive medical devices.
Urinary infections are caused when virulent E. coli adhere to cells.
The previous study by Terri Camesano, professor of chemical engineering at WPI, had shown that cranberry juice reduces its ability to attach to urinary tract cells.
The new study explains exactly how this happens.
“This is not a clinical study-it’s a mechanical study that shows us the direct forces that can lead to infection,” said Camesano.
The study revealed that more the amount of juice one drinks, the more the attachment force of the virulent E. coli weakened.
The urine flow cannot generate enough force without the juice to break this attachment to the human cells.
The article is published in the journal Molecular Nutrition and Food Research. (ANI)
- Cranberry juice fights urinary infection - Sep 16, 2010
- Cranberry juice better at fighting bugs - Oct 30, 2011
- Cranberry juice can block Staph infections - Sep 02, 2010
- Bugs filch copper to spread urinary infections - Jul 09, 2012
- Cranberry can help prevent urinary tract infections - Mar 10, 2009
- Cranberry Juice may help in kids' bladder infections - Sep 10, 2012
- Cranberry juice can prevent urinary tract infections - Jul 26, 2008
- How E. coli triggers urinary infections - Jan 19, 2012
- Cranberry juice not effective against urinary tract infections: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- Cranberry juice can fend off urinary tract infections - Jul 22, 2008
- Shrimp shell nanoparticle combats microbes, heals wounds - Mar 18, 2012
- New approach for treating urinary tract infections - Aug 17, 2012
- Scientists move one step closer to vaccine for urinary tract infections - Nov 13, 2010
- New testing method for cranberry products to know UTI treatments' efficacy - Apr 22, 2010
- New strain of killer E. coli decoded - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,