How cannabis dampens the body’s immune systemDecember 4th, 2010 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 4 (ANI): A new study, involving an Indian-origin boffin, has explained how cannabis dampens the body’s immune system.
Cannabis is a double-edged sword: by dampening the immune system, it provides relief from inflammatory diseases, but also increases the risk of infections.
Now, scientists have found that its active ingredient targets a newly discovered type of cell that lowers the immune response.
Prakash Nagarkatti at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine and colleagues injected the main active ingredient of cannabis, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), into mice, reports New Scientist.
THC activated two types of cannabinoid receptor on immune cells, called CB1 and CB2. Activation of these receptors led to a “massive mobilisation” of myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), which play a crucial role in lowering the immune system response back down to normal levels.
The discovery offers a possible explanation of why cannabis smokers have a higher risk of getting infections, says Nagarkatti.
It may also mean THC could be used when there is a need to suppress the immune system - after an organ transplant, for example.
The study appears in the European Journal of Immunology. (ANI)
- Smoking cannabis 'ups cancer risk' - Nov 25, 2010
- Marijuana raises risk of cancer, other killer diseases - Nov 25, 2010
- Cannabis-like drugs 'could provide pain relief without the high' - Apr 04, 2011
- Marijuana derivative may ease neuropathic pain sans side effects - Jul 02, 2010
- New study sheds light on painkilling system in brain - Aug 25, 2010
- Cell that suppresses immune system discovered - Oct 05, 2010
- Prescription marijuana without memory loss on horizon - Mar 03, 2012
- Why some mental disorders are more prevalent in males - Nov 18, 2010
- Chemicals in pot stimulate tongue receptors to taste sweetness - Dec 23, 2009
- Marijuana use could lead to sexual dysfunction in men - Feb 12, 2011
- Smoked cannabis relieves chronic pain - Aug 30, 2010
- Key ingredient makes marijuana cause memory loss - Oct 05, 2010
- Key ingredient dilutes marijuana's effect on memory - Oct 02, 2010
- Key cell signals inhibit babies' ability to fight infection - Aug 08, 2012
- Cannabis ingredient 'can boost cancer patients' appetites, sense of taste' - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,