Horse dies after winning prestigious raceMay 14th, 2012 - 8:31 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 14 (IANS) A champion horse died moments after winning a prestigious race in Nashville, US, RIA Novosti reported.
Arcadius died after winning the Iroquois Steeplechase. The eight-year-old had a heart attack and collapsed while his jockey Brian Crowley was celebrating with the animal and its owner Ed Swyer in the winner’s enclosure Saturday.
“The horse ran a beautiful race, pulled up very cleanly and, as he was cooling down after the race, he had a heart attack,” track veterinarian Monty McInturff told local newspaper The Tennessean.
“When I got to him on the scene, his heart was very irregular and he had a very weak blood pressure,” he said.
There was nothing that could be done for Arcadius, McInturff said. “He died very quickly, very peacefully.”
The jockey was too upset to speak after the horse died, the newspaper said.
By winning the race, Arcadius won the top prize of $90,000.
- Tea party could spell doom after splitting Republicans into thirds, says top GOP strategist - Nov 05, 2010
- Horse called Royal Wedding wins race just hours after Prince William wed - Apr 30, 2011
- Horse racing abandoned at Newbury after horses die - Feb 12, 2011
- Horse named Royal Wedding wins race - Apr 30, 2011
- Resurgent Republicans likely to surpass 39 seats needed for US House control: Poll - Oct 20, 2010
- "60 minutes" features 'Horse of the Year' Zenyatta - May 02, 2011
- Calvin Borel Fights With Javier Castellano Post Marathon - Nov 06, 2010
- For Obama, economic challenges remain after Osama's killing - May 03, 2011
- Obama's approval ratings 'remain steady' despite several setbacks: Poll - Dec 17, 2010
- Close battles likely in JK Races - Sep 16, 2011
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' a rare cinematic treat (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Mar 03, 2012
- History made as all horses fall during UK race and fail to finish - Mar 19, 2011
- Fergie's racehorse wins at Aintree - Apr 09, 2010
- Jockey Randy Romero And Point Given Along With Two Others Enter Racing Hall Of Fame - May 30, 2010
- At least 19 killed in US floods - May 04, 2010