Home births ‘as safe as hospital ones’September 29th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 29 (ANI): Having a baby at home with a registered midwife is just as safe as a conventional hospital birth, a new study says.
The study, which looked at 2,889 home births and 4,752 hospital births with the same midwives and 5,331 hospital births attended by doctors, showed women who had a planned home birth are less likely to run into serious problems during labour.
They also have a lower risk of needing epidural pain relief, forceps delivery or a Caesarean, reports The Daily Express.
Dr Patricia Janssen from the University of British Columbia, Canada, who carried out the study, said: “Newborns born after planned home births were at a similar or reduced risk of death, although the likelihood of admission to hospital was higher.
“Women planning birth at home experienced reduced risk for all obstetric interventions measured, and similar or reduced risk for adverse maternal outcomes.”
As for the reason, Janssen said it could be because women who choose home birth are determined not to have those procedures.
She said: “We do not underestimate the degree of self-selection that takes place in a population of women choosing home birth. This self-selection may be an important component of risk management for home birth.” (ANI)
- Having epidurals during labour may protect key muscles - Aug 26, 2010
- Will mums-to-be learn to hypnotize themselves to cut labour pain? - Feb 14, 2011
- Home births could put babies at risk, say docs - Jul 30, 2010
- British hospitals ban caesareans in cost-cutting move - Aug 21, 2011
- A dai steps toward ensuring safe motherhood in Rajasthan (With images) - May 01, 2012
- Babies born by caesarean 'are calmer' - Nov 04, 2010
- Obese pregnant women 'more likely to have complicated births' - Jan 26, 2011
- Probe over doctors' labour room brawl in Italy - Aug 30, 2010
- 'Most women demand Caesareans' myth debunked - Oct 07, 2010
- Forced birth may cause emotional problems for babies - Nov 04, 2010
- Babies born outside working hours more likely to die - Jul 17, 2010
- First-ever MRI scan of baby at the moment of birth produced - Dec 08, 2010
- Report says that midwife shortage leads to 1 million deaths every year - Apr 04, 2011
- Best time for birth of twins is 37 weeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Women fearing childbirth have longer labour - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,