Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stoppedJuly 9th, 2009 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, July 9 (IANS) Three holiday special trains being run daily on the world heritage Kalka-Shimla rail line in Himachal Pradesh to meet the tourist rush have been suspended, a railway official said Thursday.
“The railways have stopped plying of three holiday special trains that run to and fro daily on the Kalka-Shimla rail line. These trains were started to cater to tourist rush,” Shimla station superintendent G.S. Rajput told IANS.
“Now, five ordinary trains and one rail car are running between Kalka and Shimla every day,” he added.
Each toy train - as it is popularly called - has seven coaches and can accommodate nearly 200 passengers.
The century-old Kalka-Shimla rail line, a 96-km-long narrow gauge railroad built to ferry Europeans to and from this hill town - then the summer capital of British India - was chosen by the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) as a world heritage site last year.
In 1903, the rail line was opened to traffic by Lord Curzon, the then viceroy of India. At that time, only Europeans were allowed to use the rail link.
This rail route also features in the Guinness Book of World Records for offering the steepest rise in altitude in a 96-km stretch - from 640 metres above sea level at Kalka to 2,060 metres of Shimla. More than two-thirds of the track is curved, sometimes at angles as sharp as 48 degrees.
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail traffic - Apr 19, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Another tragedy awaits Kalka-Shimla rail track? - Dec 22, 2008
- Youth killed in freak accident in Himachal - Jun 21, 2009
Tags: altitude, angles, book of world records, british india, europeans, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, lord curzon, narrow gauge railroad, rail car, railway official, railways, rajput, sea level, tourist rush, toy train, two thirds, unesco, viceroy of india, world heritage site