Hindu spiritual leaders to hold conclave on HIV/AIDSMay 28th, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by admin
Bangalore, May 28 (IANS) Spiritual leaders from across the country will converge here Sunday and prepare an action plan to fight HIV/AIDS. Apart from about 68 spiritual leaders from across India, about 200 delegates, including representative of UN agencies, National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO), state AIDS control societies and NGOs will be participating in the two-day Hindu leaders’ caucus.
The ‘Faith in Action’ meet is being jointly organised by the Art of Living and the UN AIDS Control programme (Unaids).
Founder of Art of Living Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Swami Samarpanananda Giri from Puri and Manoj Kumar Dwivedi of Mata Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu and Kashmir will be among the spiritual leaders present.
“Faith-based organisations can play an effective role in positively influencing the mindset of leaders and society towards those living with HIV/AIDS,” said Richa Chopra, the coordinator of the event.
She said religious leaders could create more awareness about the issue and emphasise the importance of progressive education, morals and ethics to prevent spread of the epidemic.
The conclave will focus on building a platform for Hindu religious leaders to work out a coherent action plan to combat HIV/AIDS.
- Scriptures to help fight HIV-AIDS - Mar 12, 2011
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- 'NACO merger with NRHM not insensitive' - Apr 27, 2012
- Inter-faith summit to remove HIV-related myths - Sep 22, 2010
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- Homosexuality no disease, India must include MSM: UNAIDS - Jul 05, 2011
- Third Red Ribbon Express to spread AIDS awareness planned (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Scale up services for pregnant HIV-positive: UNAIDS - Apr 26, 2012
- Introduce HIV/AIDS bill in parliament, demand affected people - Jul 04, 2011
- Bring transparency in AIDS programme: Civil society - May 17, 2011
- This AIDS day, talk of universal access and human rights (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
- 'India's AIDS control mission a successful model' - Feb 06, 2012
- Zinta to attend UN meet in Moscow - Oct 06, 2011
- HIV-AIDS prevention tops India's agenda, says minister (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: aids control, art of living, coherent action, conclave, faith in action, hindu leaders, hiv aids, jammu, living with hiv, morals and ethics, naco, national aids control organisation, progressive education, ravi shankar, religious leaders, spiritual leaders, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, state aids