High levels of uric acid linked to high blood pressureNovember 8th, 2010 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Nov 08 (ANI): A new study has revealed that people with high levels of uric acid in their blood are more likely to develop high blood pressure.
Hyperuricemia is an abnormally high level of uric acid in the blood that can lead to gout.
Researchers conducted an analysis of 18 studies that included at least 100 participants of all ages who were studied for at least one year and who did not have high blood pressure at the beginning of the study in which they participated.
Peter Grayson, a rheumatologist at the Boston Medical Center and lead investigator in the study, said most of the studies his team reviewed accounted for factors that are traditionally known to increase the likelihood of developing high blood pressure - such as age, family history, weight and tobacco use.
The researchers noted that participants with hyperuricemia were more than 40 percent more likely to later develop high blood pressure than participants without hyperuricemia.
Women with the highest uric acid levels and people who develop high levels of uric acid at a relatively young age are especially at risk for developing high blood pressure.
“The results of this study show that people with elevated uric acid levels are at an increased risk for the future development of hypertension, but this does not mean that uric acid directly cause elevated blood pressure. More studies are needed to clarify that question,” explained Grayson.
The research was presented at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting in Atlanta. (ANI)
- CT scans can detect gout cases - Nov 07, 2011
- Gout ups risk of heart attacks among women - Feb 08, 2010
- Orange juice doubles gout risk in women - Nov 11, 2010
- Sweetened drinks up risk of gout in women: Study - Nov 08, 2010
- High-fructose diet increases BP in men - Sep 24, 2009
- Caffeinated drinks linked to increased risk of gout attacks - Nov 08, 2010
- Second-hand cigarette smoke associated with raised blood pressure in boys - May 02, 2011
- High BP might just be doc-induced 'white coat' hypertension - Mar 29, 2011
- Sleep disorder linked to elderly men's blood pressure - Aug 31, 2011
- Four cups of coffee a day keeps gout at bay - Sep 10, 2010
- Lowering BP in middle-aged women cuts heart disease risk - Jan 25, 2011
- Sugar has more devastating effects on health than just extra calories - Sep 14, 2010
- Vitamin D levels linked with health of blood vessels - Apr 04, 2011
- Scientists identify risks of hypertension in young adults - Jul 28, 2010
- Chances of heart attack, stroke rise with BP - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: boston medical center, family history, future development, gout, grayson, high blood pressure, hypertension, hyperuricemia, likelihood, participants, rheumatologist, risk, tobacco, uric acid levels