High-dose aspirin relieves severe headache, migraineSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 22 (ANI): Aspirin in high doses can relieve severe headaches and migraine, according to a new research at the UCSF Headache Center.
Study participants administered aspirin through an IV and 25 percent of the time reported a more modest pain reduction about 40 percent of the time.
Aspirin also is non-toxic, non-addictive, non-sedating, has few side effects for adults, and is less expensive than drug regimens such as triptans that physicians typically prescribe to headache patients to combat severe pain.
To develop a successful treatment plan for these patients, physicians first turn to a hospital inpatient program where medication withdrawal can be overseen by a neurologist or pain specialist. High-dose intravenous aspirin can help patients manage headache pain while undergoing medication withdrawal, the study shows.
Further research is needed to understand how exactly the aspirin works to reduce headache pain, the UCSF team said, but the findings give neurologists a safe and effective treatment option for migraine sufferers that is less expensive than the alternative multi-drug alternative.
The study was published in the September 21, 2010, issue of Neurology. (ANI)
- Now, treat chronic migraine with Botox - Aug 30, 2011
- Painkillers overuse causing a million headaches in Britain - Sep 19, 2012
- Migraines do not hurt your brain - Aug 12, 2012
- Exercise as good as drugs in staving off migraines - Oct 11, 2011
- Novel intranasal product highly effective in treating migraines - Apr 08, 2010
- Aspirin could be the best remedy for migraine - Apr 14, 2010
- Daily aspirin cuts bowel cancer death risk - Apr 26, 2012
- Coffee, aspirin best antidote to hangover - Jan 18, 2011
- New nose spray quickly eases migraine - Dec 21, 2010
- Oral migraine therapy effective in providing relief - Aug 12, 2009
- Aspirin may cut the risk of pancreatic cancer - Apr 05, 2011
- Botox 'can alleviate severe spinal headaches' - Apr 15, 2011
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Botox may not be effective in treating migraines - Feb 10, 2011
- High and low dose aspirin can protect heart - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: dose aspirin, drug regimens, further research, headache center, headache migraine, headache pain, headache patients, hospital inpatient, medication, migraine, migraine sufferers, neurologist, neurologists, pain specialist, severe headaches, severe pain, study participants, treatment option, triptans, ucsf team