Hero of 1965 war rememberedSeptember 9th, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
Asal Uttar (Khem Karan Sector), Sept.9 (ANI): Civilians as well as defence personnel today saluted Param Vir Chakra awardee Company Quarter Master Havaldar Abdul Hamid on the 43rd anniversary of his martyrdom at this border village, the name of which means `befitting reply”.
It was on this day of the 1965 Indo-Pak War, the Pakistan Army launched a major attack on India in the Khem Karan sector. A brave Abdul Hamid of the 4th Battalion of the Grenadiers Regiment, blew up three Pakistani Patton tanks single-handedly and disabled a fourth, before attaining martyrdom on September 10, 1965.
For his unprecedented bravery and supreme sacrifice, Hamid was conferred with the country’’s highest gallantry award posthumously.
The battle raged for three days and at the end, the enemy was forced to retreat.
To solemnize the occasion, dignitaries from the army and the civil administration placed a Chaddar on his memorial and paid tribute to his bravery on Tuesday.
Brigadier Vinod Kumar told news persons here that honoring the brave is an old Army tradition. It was also an opportunity for all to draw inspiration from the sacrifices of heroes like Abdul Hamid.
He said that the civilian population has a major role to play in ensuring victory for the Indian Armed forces by boosting their morale and providing medical assistance and other logistic support. Therefore, the Khem Karan battle was not only a battle of the Indian Army, but also a battle for the whole nation.
Deputy Commissioner of Tarn Taran, Kushi Ram, also praised the sacrifice of Abdul Hamid.
The ceremony concluded with the sounding of the Last Post” and the observance of two minutes silence for the martyr. (ANI)
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of 1971 Battle of Basantar - Dec 16, 2010
- Indian Army remembers fallen heroes of Battle of Basantar (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Mother recalls young lieutenant who'd win Param Vir Chakra in 1971 - Dec 16, 2010
- Civil gallantry awardees to get free AC train travel - Jul 24, 2012
- Three Shaurya Chakras among I-Day gallantry awards - Aug 15, 2011
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- Gallantry awardees to get free parking passes in Chandigarh - Dec 31, 2010
- Indian Army to celebrate 71st Armour Day - Apr 30, 2009
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Military might, 'mini-India' on display at 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- Opposition slams BSP for neglecting war hero Hamid's family - Aug 31, 2009
- Lt. Navdeep Singh wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- Tears as Navdeep Singh gets posthumous Ashok Chakra (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Railways to recruit 16,000 ex-servicemen - Feb 25, 2011